Which Linux + DA can get the highest performance ?

hkivan

Verified User
Which Linux + DA can get the highest performance ?
Red hat .. or fedora 1.0 ?

We have tried Fedora 1 + DA ... but the average load of the server is quite high ( compare with our Piii sun cobalt server )
but .. our DA server has 2.8 + 2 Gb ram .. but the load still quite high ( 2 ~ 10 ) :mad:

So that i want to hear more opinion ... which linux + DA can get the highest performace ? :p

Or .. when you install DA in a box .... which simple component will you choose in the OS installing process ?

If you're choosing between Linux flavors, I'd suggest that there are several things which affect server performance:

1) Hard drive speed. If you have a lot of sites, or a lot of databases, or both, be sure you use high-speed drives. The highest speed drives are SCSI drives, the lowest speed drives are ATA (IDE) drives. SATA (Serial ATA) is a good compromise; it's almost as inexpensive as ATA, and almost as fast as SCSI, but at a lot lower price point.

2) Memory. We provision all our servers with at least one Gigabyte of memory; this allows the OS to keep as much as possible in memory, for fastest performance.

3) Processor speed / type. We us Intel hyperthreading Pentium chips; generally 2.6 or 2.8 GHz. To the OS this appears as two separate processors and is definitely faster.

4) Kernel Revision. While I don't think 2.6 is ready for web-server use yet, a lot of it's features are. We find that the latest RHEL 3 kernel, though 2.4, has a lot of the optimizations of 2.6 backported into it by RedHat. I'm not sure if you get the optimizations with RHL 9 or Fedora Core 1, but I believe you do with Fedora Core 2.

We choose WBEL 3, which is an open-source compile of RHEL 3 source code, and is downlaodable, free as in beer as well as in source.

Jeff

Personally I go for FreeBSd. It performs very well if configured properly as well as being secure. (If you set it up right, but this applies to any Operating System)

but directadmin only support :
Operating System:

Redhat Linux 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, 9.0.
RedHat Fedora 1.0, 2.0 (BETA)
RedHat Enterprise 2.1, 3.0 (BETA)
FreeBSD 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 4.10, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.2.1.

I am so confuse ... WBEL ....
when i buy a license .. which OS should should i tell directadmin for install WBEL ? :confused:

WBEL 3.0 works perfectly with DA for RHEL 3.

And it's free. As in speech. As in beer.

Jeff

I come from linux background but have completely fallen in love with FreeBSD. It's surely worth a look. The port system is amazing in keeping things up to date. But there is no system that will be the clear cut answer to your question. Just take your time and find what works best for you. Then take your time and install and setup right. Then test it out and wipe it then really install it right.;)

Free beer? mmm:D

I've used BSD for years; even owned an ISP on it a while back.

But my understanding is that DA doens't really keep to the ports system, and that this can cause problems in updating and installing packages.

I've also seen more issues with things not working, here on the forums, than for all versions of Linux together.

When RH discontinued their RHL line, we looked seriously at FreeBSD as our next hosting platform, but went to WBEL instead.

Am I prejudiced? I don't think so.

Am I misinformed? Possibly.

So teach me :) .

Jeff

Back