Download failed. Destination directory for file streaming does not exist or not writa

pucky

Verified User
Anyone know why im getting this when trying to UPDATE wordpress plugins installed on a server running suphp?

Download failed. Destination directory for file streaming does not exist or is not writable.

This makes no sense, even my uploads directory, a directory that would normally need a chmod 777 works.

So why is this error showing up about non writable directories when;

1) The files are owned by user:user
2) The max permission possible is 755
3) Its running suphp

Granted my /tmp directory is locked down but that shouldn't prevent wordpress plugins from installing.

Even so, if you add define( 'WP_TEMP_DIR' , ABSPATH . 'wp-content/' ); to your wp-config.php that should redefine the place where downloads should be allowed.
Even this doesn't work.

Anyone know why v3.5.1 of WP is kicking this error on a suphp installation?

did you swap from fcgid to suphp at any time?
I've seen similar issues due to actual ownership issues.
on cpanel this works so maybe somethign there will help
http://boomshadow.net/tech/fixes/fixperms-script/
the actual codes listed there, maybe easy to adapt to DA?

Yes I did change from fastcgi to suphp but this issue is only happening under the admin account.
Websites installed under admin. It does not seem to be happening outside of that so it must be a permission issue somewhere with the admin account and site installed under it.

I just tried to install the contact 7 plugin and I got the same error msgs yet, If I download the plugin and click to UPLOAD/INSTALL it installs without a problem. :)

Go figure, I mean what /tmp directory is it using if you install the plugin from your PC? Yet, it cant install plugins directory from the wordpress site?

and I already ran;

./fix_da_user.sh admin mydomain.com
./set_permissions.sh set_user_home admin

Which has failed to do anything.

Last edited:
Back