System Information

BigWil

Verified User
I am noticing that the system information isn't very impressive even on a dual zeon with 1G of RAM.

First off the processor information doesn't include the second CPU. Should have a x2 next to it or something in my opinion.

Secondly, I know that Free Memory is basically "never been used" memory. But customers don't know that. And then it doesn't even display the large chunk of inactive memory either. Perhaps the memory measurement should be a total of the Free and the inactive memory and maybe labelled "Available Memory".

Vendor ID GenuineIntel
Processor Speed (MHz) 2389.76
Total Memory 1018.91 MB
Free Memory 23.082 MB
System Uptime 0 Days, 0 Hours and 10 Minutes
Apache 1.3.31 Running
DirectAdmin Running
Exim 4.24 Running
MySQL 4.0.17 Running
Named 8.3.7 Running
ProFTPd 1.2.9 Running
sshd Running
vm-Pop3d 1.1.6 Running

Anybody know any work arounds for these?

Big Wil

I agree more info could be added to CMD_SYSTEM_INFO, however my dual xeon DOES show all four processors:

Processor Name Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
Vendor ID GenuineIntel
Processor Speed (MHz) 2400.168
Vendor ID GenuineIntel
Vendor ID GenuineIntel
Vendor ID GenuineIntel
Total Memory 2061644 kB
Free Memory 18268 kB
Total Swap Memory 4192956 kB
Free Swap Memory 4176376 kB
System Uptime 116 Days, 23 Hours and 42 Minutes
Apache 1.3.31 Running
DirectAdmin 1.22.4 Running
Exim 4.31 Running
MySQL 4.0.20 Running
Named 9.2.2 Running
ProFTPd 1.2.9 Running
sshd Running
vm-Pop3d 1.1.7e Running

Maybe it's that I'm on RHEL; dunno.

Phi1.

Must be the way CMD_SYSTEM_INFO parses the information. May require something different for the FreeBSD setup. Have you any idea where it gathers its information?

Question on your hyperthreading..... does using the virtual CPUs run better for you. I noticed myself that I saw no real difference and when I did notice the difference it was favorable when NOT using the hyperthreading.

I also noticed that Top gives no info except on C1 and C2. Does it do the same on RHL.

Big Wil

What OS are you using BigWil?
I am using FreeBSD and only one processor is shown in Directadmin as well as the top command. The only way I know its got dual xeons is the bootup log.

I do notice a improvment with dual processors. After I compiled by kernel for smp (multi-processor capability) I got around 9% less cpu usage.

Last edited:
jmstacey,

I didn't quite understand what you were asking in your first paragraph but I will try to answer broadly so maybe I will answer it.

Yes I am using FreeBSD.

I do notice the difference between a single (1) cpu and the dual xeon (2). A great improvement especially with a good load on it. But what I didn't really notice a difference on is enabling the Virtual CPUs aka hyperthreading. The difference between the dual xeon (2) and hyperthreading (4) was very nominal.

Directadmin: Yes only the one CPU is showing. That is my complaint.

Top: No if you watch the "C" column in top and put some load on the machine you will notice the 0 and the 1 flipping around from time to time. The 0 is the first and the 1 is the second kicking in to assist.

Big Wil

Fixed. It wasn't a question, t'was a statement.

DirectAdmin is not responsible for the way the Operating system uses the cpu.

I think DA uses the top command to gather cpu info and since the top command only displays one cpu then there is no other informatino for DA to parse so its not really a DA problem. If perhaps you know of a command that will display this information that comes with FreeBSD standard perhaps they would add it to DirectAdmin :)

Quick question. How do you notice the difference between dual xeons and dual xeons with hyperthreading since as of 4.9 HTT is enabled by default and can't be set for a kernel build?

I turn off the virtual CPUs in the bios.

I notice in the startup log that only the 0 and 1 CPUs are brought up with the virtual turned off. Turn on the virtuals in the bios and I see 0-3 are brought up.

Top only shows 0 and 1 and the performance isn't better with the hyperthreading. Actually seemed a little worse. Once I have a major load on our new machines I will switch it and get some benchmarks in that state of things. Perhaps I will see 2 & 3 kick in with the higher load and perhaps then the hyperthreading will show some improvement. As it stands now I hardly ever see 1 kick in.

No. I know of no better tool for showing both CPUs in the system information. It is unfortunate that it doesn't show them in any parsible format.

Big Wil

Back