Kernel update

Borreltje

Verified User
Hi,

I have a server running Cent-OS 6 64bit. My yum is set to ignore kernel updates, but I would like to update my kernel anyway.
Now I have kernel 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6 running and the latest kernel is 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.
Can I update the kernel to the latest without problems afterwards? Last time I did a kernel update on a debian server it caused all kind of trouble with direct admin, so I thought I better ask before breaking my direct admin install.

Thanks for reading and answering. :)

Most of the time it is security fixes, and you should always run the newest kernel from CentOS. If nothing is wrong with your server, it should not cause any trouble. Remember to reboot the server after you have installed the new kernel.

Never but never to update to your kernel , do install, and remove the old one , kernel contain drivers support, system behavior, it's very recommend to install the last version

OK, thanks guys, just updated and all seems to run fine, will keep my kernel updated from now on.

Just remember that it's best to do this at night time (if you have night support in the datacenter or from your provider) due to the reboot which is necessary.
After a certain time, if you don't do a diskcheck, Linux will do it automatically after a reboot. This could cause your server to hang during boot time, waiting for input, when a problem is found. A remote reboot can cause the same effect.
If you don't have night support, try as early as possible in the morning. Just in case this happens.

Richard,

thanks for your concern, I have a HP server and have ILO access, so I can always see what is happening, but it is a good tip.

regards, Borreltje.

Back