final IP address/DNS tweaks

jechilt

Verified User
Greetings,

I am going to guess there is no set in stone method for using IP addresses but wanted to get a feel for what most people do.

I have a few IP addresses to use. (hypethetical IP addresses/domain names used for sake of example)
set 1.1.1.1 assigned to the server and ns1.domain.com
set 1.1.1.2 assigned as "shared" and ns2.domain.com

Question:
Is there any advantage to not allowing user accounts (except my admin and email) to use 1.1.1.1? I am thinking to have my admin account and email accounts use 1.1.1.1
Then, all other accounts would use the share ip of 1.1.1.2
-or- does it not really matter....just set up domains on any of the two IP addresses?
Not sure if it matters, but we are getting ready to install a comodo premium cert on the root...guess this is part of the reason to ask the questions...

This frees up my other IP's for dedicated use later.

Just want to make sure I use the IP addresses wisely.
Thanks for any advice...

jechilt said:
Question:
Is there any advantage to not allowing user accounts (except my admin and email) to use 1.1.1.1?
Not really.
I am thinking to have my admin account and email accounts use 1.1.1.1
Then, all other accounts would use the share ip of 1.1.1.2
-or- does it not really matter....
It really doesn't matter, unless...
Not sure if it matters, but we are getting ready to install a comodo premium cert on the root...
If you're using my How-To, and intend to use the same cert for both logins and for something similar to, for example, secure.example.com, then you'll need secure.example.com to be on it's own IP#.

Just out of curiosity: are you getting a Premium Cert for the dynamic "TrustLogo" site seal? or for the warranty? If for the warranty, let me suggest you read it carefully... the warranty protects neither you nor your client. It protects only innocent bystanders who go to a bogus site protected by a real Comodo cert.

And it only protects them if the owners of the bogus site bought a Premium Cert. So it's quite worthless.

And... GeoTrust, a member of "Web Trust for Certification Authorities", points out that no Ceritification Authority has ever had to pay out to anyone (though Verisign once came close when they accidentally issued a cert in Microsoft's name to an imposter).

Jeff

Back