cb2.0 - security - modruid + php-fpm + run processes as users

soulshepard

Verified User
Hello all,

I am tesing the custom build 2.0 setups and i get a bit lost with the choises to make:

in the previous custom build i would use php 5.3, manually install modruid2 + suhosin, secure php, get a seperated temp, run csf with some ip blockers etc

in the end the goal is to run processes as the user, have their webfiles only chmodded as the user and try to isolate the user part as much as possible (not running cloudlinux only centos 6)

now with cb2.0 i face the choices with php-fpm, the php selector and a combination of modruid2
but when i run ./build rewrite_confs i get

Code:
apache webserver is not compatible with php-fpm or php-fastcgi PHP mode with mod_ruid2 enabled

i dont understand why this would not be compatible, would the problem still not be that the apache process runs under apache.. thus be subjected to executing processes not as the user without mod_ruid2? and that a compromised website can "find" all apache owned files and essentially bring down you server?

in this post it hints that modruid2 and php-fpm can be run at the same time?
http://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=45172&p=230965#post230965
so where did it change or what do you use in this case?

so to summerize
i tried to run php1=5.5 and php2=5.4 have the mode1=mod_php and mode2=php-fpm this is not working
the only option is then mod_php and suphp or both options php-fpm but then would the process still run under the user for the webserver.. if you cannot use modruid2 with php-fpm?
in short it seems all option dont seem to realize the goal by having two versions of php + modruid2

And one other thing i miss was: suhosin, it seems the project is dead, and or most bugs that are fixed with suhosin are probably fixed in php 5.5 and ofcouse what new bugs have been introduced. ;(
but i used suhosin also as a way to disable ph functions per user when it was needed, to quickly close a gap, fix or open things. does anyone know of a way to do this without suhosin?

any input is greatly appreciated.

Soul

Last edited:
i dont understand..

when i have set the options to

php1 to 5.5
php2 to 5.4
mode1=mod_php
mode2=php-fpm
and have modruid set yo Yes

when i rebuild all and then do rewrite confs all seem to work

when i do not rebuild all, it gives

"Apache webserver is no compatible with php-fpm or php-fastcgi php mode with mod_ruid2 enabled."

can anyone tell me why? i know rewriting the confs without the build is not the right order, but it happened once and i saw the error message and i assumed in it detects the options in the options.conf with values that are compatible or not..

so does modruid2+mod_php +php-fpm work or does it not work?

Hello,

The function that checks that is called "doChecks".
It's called before most functions, but not all.

Many php type (other than CLI) need apache to be running as "apache" to pass their security checks (I don't recall all of the details on all cases), which is likely why mod_ruid2 doesn't work in those cases... because apache runs as the User, instead of "apache".

So disabling CLI and using some other php type might work.

You could try editing the build script to delete that check, just to confirm if it indeed is needed, but it's likelyt been added for a reason.

John

Back