DirectAdmin – rebranding and fresh new look needed!

moja

Verified User
Hi, DirectAdmin is great hosting panel but when anyone looks at your website or DirectAdmin skin, it seems like the project has stopped five or more years ago. It is necessary to give DA new fresh and modern look - new skin which will look like app from 2013, not 2003 as now. The same about DA website.

Does DirectAdmin team plan anything in this way? New modern default skin, refreshed website etc.? Thank you!

feel free to make one and donate it to directadmin

I am DirectAdmin customer – I am paying to DirectAdmin for their software and I would expect they will do their best to satisty customers. Now we are going to year 2014 – DirectAdmin looks like software from 2003. This is the problem and I am afraid that DirectAdmin stuff do not want to change this. I do not agree with SCSI - why should I do their job? I am customer, I pay and they have to do the best software.

Dixie skin looks great - this is exactly how I would expect DirectAdmin should look in 2014 - but not using third party paid skin, but from DA team... They should have enough money to find good designer to do and maintain same great looking skin to be included in DirectAdmin as default. I am not UFO, i just want DA stuff to reflect that we live in 2013/2014, not in 2003.

Well, best software and best looking aren't the same thing :)

DirectAdmin work hard to provide best hardware, that doest mean it must be nice looking.

Beside that, i do agree that a better look is.. well... better! But... i would prefer a stable/functional that a well looking.. that's why i prefer invest 25USD on a external skin with a lifetime license beside boring them on graphic when there are many more features that would prefer to get involved inside the DA Panel.

Regards

there was a long discussion on this topic a while back.

A new refreshed theme would not hurt, it would be nice if DA would release an update to it.

And I agree the DA website looks very dated.

Looks are a lot. I like the DirectAdmin enhanced skin, and it has a plus of having both site-helper and a lot of third-party help tutorials available for it.

I also like Darwin, and the new Dixie, but I can't use either of them unless I build a whole help infrastructure for them.

I'd like to see one of those developed into an infrastructure complete with static help screens and video tutorials.

I just don't have the time to do them myself but if one of the distributors of those themes would move forward with them, we'd happily offer them as alternative skins.

And then there's the plugin available for WHMCS which allows users to log in to their WHMCS account and do almost everthing DirectAdmin related. Again, I like the idea, but I can't use it because of the help-screen situation. Too much work to implement.

I will be talking to Zomex (distributors of some great WHMCS skins) to see if he can help us implement help pages.

Anyone else interested?

Jeff

Jeff,

If done correctly, help can be integrated easily into the skin with tool-tips or perhaps an enriched language file.

What level of help are you looking for?

I'm currently doing a custom skin for our company and can EASILY integrate help related items, just need to know what you are looking for.

If done correctly, help can be integrated easily into the skin with tool-tips or perhaps an enriched language file.
You probably believe that. Many people do. A lot of open-source software is developed with that mind-set.

No disrespect intended, but the problem with that mindset is that such help isn't task oriented but rather function oriented. I press (or hover over) a function, and the help system tells me what the function does. But if I want to do a task, I still don't know what button to click or hover over.

Much open-source software has a reputation for being poorly documented, even though the man files are incredibly good and cover just about everything. Why? Because they don't teach features you may not know exist.

No, most of my users are not geeks who can figure out what steps to take to implement a project simply by hovering over buttons or links. Most of them benefit from having instructions on how to do something rather than enhanced descriptions of what buttons or links do. And I still want something like site-helper and video tutorials.
What level of help are you looking for?
For a start, a version of site-builder with graphics for both the Darwin and Dixie skins, either pre-built on a site I can call, like site-builder (site-builder.com), or in a pack of files I can buy, or install on one of my own domains, for my users. Ideally produced by the skin developers, so they'd stay up-to-date.
I'm currently doing a custom skin for our company and can EASILY integrate help related items, just need to know what you are looking for.
Above :).

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You bring up good points with having help screens updated to reflect the themes, agreed that would be a great feature to include in a skin but the price would most likely go up.

Anyhow, I just think things should be more simple. A good example of that us using ModulesGarden integration with WHMCS, I would much rather have a slick and powerful WHMCS theme and allow my customers to manage their Hosting acount from the same interface as the Billing and Support! And most customers want that anyways, leave the CP available to the power users, they dont really care about the look of DA anyways.

We should put more effort into integrating Control Panels with our Billing systems.

You bring up good points with having help screens updated to reflect the themes, agreed that would be a great feature to include in a skin but the price would most likely go up.
That doesn't really bother me; I've always felt I get what I pay for. Here in the US I can get a fast food hamburger, fries and a cola for between usd $4.00 and usd $5.00. But I tend to eat at Burger Boss andspend about twice that, because I like it better. They're always busy, so I must not be the only one who feels that way.

If it's an issue charge for ue of the site-helper, or at least give me permission to use your images and build my own. I may or may not do the latter, but it should be available to me. Martynas (smtalk) has already published in these forums permission to use his images to build a site-helper.

But I don't think it's an issue because I think more people will buy if the site-helper is available.
Anyhow, I just think things should be more simple. A good example of that us using ModulesGarden integration with WHMCS, I would much rather have a slick and powerful WHMCS theme and allow my customers to manage their Hosting acount from the same interface as the Billing and Support! And most customers want that anyways, leave the CP available to the power users, they dont really care about the look of DA anyways.
I agree with you on that, and as part of my rebranding I'm going to use theModules Garden module.

But people need and want choice (though you need to be careful how you offer it, too many choices can be confusing) and what works for one user may not work for another. for example the DirectAdmin power_user skin may be best for users on slow connections.

We should put more effort into integrating Control Panels with our Billing systems.
Yes, but we also need to consider our resllers; we still need to put some thought into skins, because our resellers won't be using our WHMCS integration and may want some easy skin choices for themselves and their users.

Jeff

Surely the staff must scramble.
2003-2014 unchanged.

Give the impression that they do not want to work .... just want to make money selling licenses .... and do not realize that is why they are losing customers.

Already much talk that directadmin this in the past.
I always said no, but it seems so.

Look InterWorx, always developing new options, plugins etc ... designs

2 years ago InterWrox was not a viable option .... is now much better than directadmin.

I think they need to make changes NOW.

Otherwise will become part of the past.

This reply is totally senseless, since here they are talking about skin and good-looking... not about features.

You gave point to InterWQorx that may be the best CP ever (i dont use it so i cant tell how really it is) just comparing web interface or what?

As far as i seen in last 7 years using DA many features has been added and many things has be done, yes the web-interface didnt changed but features and options are increased a lot.

So, what are you talking about?

EDIT:
Just saw the other CP website, and notice two things without much investigation at all about how it does work and are:
1 - It cost 250USD for Annual license and 600USD for Life Time
2 - Lifetime license offer 6 months of updates and support

Just considering those two little thing i stay with DirectAdmin cause Lifetime license cost 200USD and include all update lifetime and, DA Staff neither asked a $ for support i did ask them.

Regards

Last edited:
Surely the staff must scramble.
2003-2014 unchanged.

Give the impression that they do not want to work .... just want to make money selling licenses .... and do not realize that is why they are losing customers.

Already much talk that directadmin this in the past.
I always said no, but it seems so.

Look InterWorx, always developing new options, plugins etc ... designs

2 years ago InterWrox was not a viable option .... is now much better than directadmin.

I think they need to make changes NOW.

Otherwise will become part of the past.

Never heard of anyone using this interworx ever. No way it is better then directadmin.

The only interesting thing i did see surfing around their website is the Clustering integrated... but.. i'm working on it for DA... so.. actually.. didnt really see something that "brilliant" to "win" a fight vs DA.

Regards

If I remember correctly once upon a time it was open source, but I could be wrong.

However I agree with Sellerone. Next to that it's also too expensive. No lifetime license available on Interworx and the pricing for a lifetime license of DA is only $ 50 more expensive then a 1 year license of Interworx. They are way to expensive compared to Directadmin, which is not expensive and has great support!

I also agree that DA seems a bit outdated and needs visual improvements, but just minor and gradual improvements in the appearance and usability, not an entire new look as it can confuse the current users.

It would be great if minor visual improvements were applied to each new release, besides the usual code improvements.

If looks were so important.. You'd see lots of skins for sale. Functionality, security and this forum are way more important to me than how the end user feels the interface looks. The price was right so here I am. I also have cPanel because people like and demand it. No one has ever asked me for a interworx panel account. Like scsi, I don't know anyone, online or in the real world, that use interworx. High price + no demand = doomed.

The whmcs + DA module garden solution looks like a winning idea. Especially if you have a responsive whmcs theme. Whoever said that it is what customers want anyways is right about that.

Back