RHEL / CentOS 7.x

Maniak

Verified User
As some of you may know, CentOS 7 is about to be released in a few months. Few months in our busy life – is tomorrow – or almost like it.

RHEL will bring a number of new features and one of them is the file system. RHEL will ship with default file system XFS (could have been ZFS but licensing doesn’t permit). CentOS is a fork of RHEL and therefore, it will also ship with XFS.

While it will be possible (I guess), to partition and format with EXT4, a lot of people will go the default route and use xfs. What is the position of DirectAdmin and would a file system such as XFS be supported or would it be too many hassles?

I guess it’s the right time to discuss this as it will, sooner or later, be a concern for all of us, who will receive CentOS 7 requests and who wants to offer this option to early adopters.

So what is xfs? Never heard of it.

XFS is a 64-bit, high-performance journaling file system created by Silicon Graphics, Inc. It was the default file system in IRIX releases 5.3 and onwards and later ported to the Linux kernel. XFS is particularly proficient at parallel I/O due to its allocation group based design. This enables extreme scalability of I/O threads, filesystem bandwidth, file and filesystem size when spanning multiple storage devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFS

Hello,

DA itself isn't concerned.
All that matters are:
1) System Quotas work to track and limit file usage with the standard repquota/setquota commands.. which I'm sure it will.
2) User/Group file permissions/ownership works as it did before.. again, I can't see that ever going away.

At the end of the day, we won't know until it's tried out, but as CentOS is very popular OS, I doubt they'd change anything drastic to force us to change how it's used.
Time will tell.

John

Back