User name too long

Invader Zim

Verified User
So, I have this client, whose username is the same as his domain name, which makes it easier for us to know exactly which user is connected to which domain. His username is 14 charachters long.

Now I want to make a database for him. But alas, even tho the database name length is no problem (<14characters>_forum) the username is too long (<14characters>_user):

Code:
ERROR 1145: The host or user argument to GRANT is too long

Why am I forced to give a database a certain name (in this case prepended with the username, followed by an underscore etc? And ofcourse the same name applies to the username @ mysql.

I mean, it can be handy to have databases begin with the user's name, but forcing it...

Anyway around this situation?

The reason is because you can't have duplicate mysql database names all over the server. If DirectAdmin were to remove that requirement, that would mean that every user on the entire user would not be able to create a database with the same name.

I believe it is also the way DA gets its information such as the number of databases as well as the size of them since having the username there makes the job much easier. At least thats the way I understand it.

Perhaps DA could user an id# instead of name but to me personally thats even worse since there would be tons of questions asking about that from customers possibly. As well as DA having to map an id to username etc.

All in all I think the current way is satisfactory. (to me at least)
This might be why the max DA username is set shorter than usual.

Possible solution to your problem though: By increasing the maximum allowed characters in the user column of the user table in the mysql database itself from 16 to a greater number should allow you to create that database or any other databases. (example: set it to varchar(24) or something like that)

Back