FreeBSD or Redhat linux

vswebhosting

Verified User
If you had to make a choice between FreeBSD and Redhat 7x and 9.0 for your new DirectAdmin installation what would you choose?

Is it correct that Redhat 7.x and 9.0 are reaching the end of life?

Also, has anyone successfully installed and is running Fedora 1 and 2 without problems?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Tom

vswebhosting said:
If you had to make a choice between FreeBSD and Redhat 7x and 9.0 for your new DirectAdmin installation what would you choose?
If I had to choose between the two I'd definitely choose FreeBSD...
Is it correct that Redhat 7.x and 9.0 are reaching the end of life?
They're actually past EOL, as RedHat no longer produces updates for any of them; not even for security purposes. Some security updates are made available by the Fedora Legacy folk, and more comprehensive commercial updates are available from Progeny Transition Service.
Also, has anyone successfully installed and is running Fedora 1 and 2 without problems?
Yes, many people have; just search these forums for "Fedora" (without the quotes).
Thanks for your input.
I don't recommend any of the above, though. Perhaps it's just a personal choice, but we've been very happy with WBEL (White Box Enterprise Linux), an open-source (free as in both beer and speech) distribution compiled from the source code for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The RHEL version of DA works flawlessly with WBEL.

Jeff

Back