My emails are going to spam. I have setup RDNS. Please help more

kaon

Verified User
Hello All,

I have a constant problem that emails are sent into spam using this message:

PHP:
spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning [email protected] does not designate 2a01:4b0:2002:2222::5 as permitted sender) 
[email protected]

I am getting this error when i check in the testing tools
PHP:
PTR record exists (host2.hostname.com) but does not point back to mail.domain.com

Now I am on a server where there are several domains hosted. It is my own server but with 6 domains.
But i dont know how to fix this issue.
RDNS points to the hostname which is not same as mailing domain name.

Please help.
I am really frustrated and clueless.

I am highly obliged.

Your forward and reverse dns need to match. The ip you are sending email as has to match the smtp banner or the hostname that the mail server replys to when you connect to it.

Your forward and reverse dns need to match. The ip you are sending email as has to match the smtp banner or the hostname that the mail server replys to when you connect to it.

Thanks for your reply.
My friend this is the part i am stuck with.

The emails are going from mail.domain1.com (there are 6 domains on the directadmin server domain1.com, domain2.com etc.) but the server hosting name is host2.hostname.com which does not match mail.domain1.com

The RDNS with the ISP (hosting provider) for the ip address is set to host2.hostname.com

Every company in the world has one server with hundreds of domains, so i am sure there is a way to match it. I just dont know how to setup my configuration to get over this issue.

The problem is most likely that your SPF records have a IP4 sender, but for instance the servers from Google also accept email from IPv6. When that happens your SPF record fails and the email is thrown into spam.

First check your SPF records: http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/default.aspx

Then disable ipv6 in exim by adding disable_ipv6 = true to the exim.conf

Also then check your mailserver health by running smtp:domain.com on mxtoolbox.com, it will give you several pointers on where to look for problems.

Oh and regarding your question about the banner that exim gives. It gives the hostname when the server was created.

For instance we always do vps1.domain.com when the domain is generated, and on domain.com we set the subdomain vps1 to redirect to the server ip. For all the domains on that server the transaction will be on vps1.domain.com so everything is always ok.

Oh and regarding your question about the banner that exim gives. It gives the hostname when the server was created.
On DirectAdmin-based servers, by default the banner (hostname) is checked each time an email is transported.

Search exim.conf for primary_hostname. by default it's commented out and left blank. Here's the documentation for setting your own hostname; not found in the distributed exim.conf file, but in my documentation for my SpamBlocker exim.conf file:
Specify your host's canonical name here. This should normally be the fully qualified "official" name of your host. If this option is not set, the uname() function is called to obtain the name. In many cases this does the right thing and you need not set anything explicitly.

Jeff

Back