CentOS 6.0 -> 6.5 upgrade

pucky

Verified User
Has anyone successfully upgraded to 6.5 from any version above 6.0?

Im running cloud Linux and my installations states;

cat /etc/redhat-release
CloudLinux Server release 6.5 (Pavel Popovich)

However I am running CentOS 6.0.

I would assume I have to Uninstall cloudlinux prior to upgrading to 6.5 then reinstalling CL?

How do you know you're running 6.0?

I ask because I believe that though you may have installed 6.0, subsequent manual or automated runs of yum update may have updated the OS to 6.5.

Jeff

Im not sure if running yum upgrades CentOS to 6.5. It shows CentOS 6.0 in system settings in DA.

Yes yum upgrades the os to the newest version. Da version means nothing except the os that its compiled for. 6.0 matches anything 6.x

I have one of my VM upgrade from CentOS 6.0 to 6.5 in the course of mucking around with it.

So no worries about need to update DA binaries so far with the 6.x version spread? ..so long as the bit 32/64 doesn't change?

Yum updates from CentOS 6.x to CentOS 6.y (for any value of x as long as y is greater than x) will not affect DirectAdmin licensing. But if that's what you're asking, why would you believe me if you won't believe scsi ? :)

Jeff

It's not a matter of not believing or not any individual, really.

I've just not versed at all on linux distributions, versioning practice or DA binaries and related. I may be mistaken but I think that I've read of different DA binaries within the same OS major version, dealing with minor version changes. I wasn't worried about the DA license becoming invalid because of OS minor version changes.

The information of all the DA binaries I've not found and some of the beginning install process seems to be quite particular on exact os version.

Anyhow, it seems more or less it can be expected that:

DA stable binaries come in pairs (and maintained..) for each OS distribution and major OS revision.
DA beta/pre-release binaries - ibid

Honestly, I do practice "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" quite a bit.. I think my minimal *nix, DA and IT knowledge causes much uncertainty for me. Stuff could be broke that I should fix but don't know is broke.

It's not a matter of not believing or not any individual, really.

I put a smiley after my note to indicate that I was trying to be funny. Of rouce sometimes we really need to be sure. I wasn't expecting a response to the point, which was made rather lightheartedly. I'm sorry if I confused you.
I've just not versed at all on linux distributions, versioning practice or DA binaries and related. I may be mistaken but I think that I've read of different DA binaries within the same OS major version, dealing with minor version changes. I wasn't worried about the DA license becoming invalid because of OS minor version changes.
You may be right, but in the case of CentOS generally there are no major changes between subversions which would require a change in DirectAdmin, and in any event many of us do automatic RPM updates, which will increment CentOS subversions as necessary. So if they break anything you'll see stuff on these forums rather quickly.
The information of all the DA binaries I've not found and some of the beginning install process seems to be quite particular on exact os version.
I don't revcall anything recently that's fussy to the subversion level, but all my experience is with CentOS, so I can't be sure about other reasons. Perhaps John will join the thread and let us know if we can generally expect subversion updates to just work with DirectAdmin licenses/binaries/versions.
Anyhow, it seems more or less it can be expected that:

DA stable binaries come in pairs (and maintained..) for each OS distribution and major OS revision.
DA beta/pre-release binaries - ibid
I'm not sure what you mean by pairs. DirectAdmin runs three separate major binary distributions: CentOS, Debian, FreeBSD. Is that what you meant?
Honestly, I do practice "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" quite a bit.. I think my minimal *nix, DA and IT knowledge causes much uncertainty for me. Stuff could be broke that I should fix but don't know is broke.
Which is a good reason we read these forums. Believe it or not, I sometimes run into the same uncertainties. But by tracking the forums we get to benefit from the experience of others.

Please don't let my sometimes lighthearted remarks keep you from posting your questions. Generally someone will answer, and even I get checked by some posters from time to time when I get out of line. After all, we're all only human :).

Jeff

Back