Proxmox anyone with some experience?

AndyII

Verified User
Im looking into and experimenting with Proxmox and KVM, Ive posted over on the Proxmox forum but within 24 hrs my post was 2 pages deep and no answer :(
so I think well maybe I should ask here and I may get an even better answer :confused:
here was the essence of that post

for example I have a 8 core machine with 24GB memory and a 1TB hard drive.
now I setup 8 VPS's each having the same amount of cpu, space, and memory, but after that I can still add more vps's, like its an over sell feature, but I dont want that at all.

if I give a vps a set of resources and he goes over them, then he gets no more, he cant borrow from any other vps resources to satisfy his needs.

so is there a way to set it to not able to oversell, and or even if the oversell was capable then any or all vps's are locked to the resources that were assigned..?
hope Im not rambling and make sense :)

thank you for the reply, I will assume then that any node can use what ever resources that are available?
so if they go over the allotted resource, then it get taken from another?

Hi Andy, we have 100+ Proxmox nodes. In KVM not possible to block oversell.
I thought the whole point of KVM was that you could noversell it.

Then what does it mean when you set up a core? Is it just a virtual core?

If Andy or I would just build a machine and carefully manage it so we give out only those 8 cores, then is each core mapped 1:1?

Is there any way to map cores 21:1?

Some of us would like to dip our toes into the VPS waters withut making stupid mistakes :).

"NoBaloney" to me means just what it says. If I say a Virtual KVM machine has one core, I'd like for people to be able to believe that.

If not KVM, then is there any other VP solution which would do it?

Thanks.

Jeff

Thanks for the link; very helpful.

I may post a link to the page when we start selling :).

Jeff

Back