Changes In The AHBL (dnsbl.ahbl.org)

sneer

Verified User
Hi all,

Today I've been told, that our hosting server (based on directadmin and exim) does not work well. There was problem with receiving e-mail messages from some hosts. After some investingation figured out, that we have problem with one of dns bl, which caused timeout while receiving email.
This is dnsbl.ahbl.org used in SpamBlocker v4 exim.conf.

It looks, that owner is planning to disable his public services.
More info here: http://www.ahbl.org/content/changes-ahbl

After removing (or commenting) sections of /etc/exim.conf (there are two of them) everything is back to normal.
(removing rhsbl.ahbl.org from #EDIT#41 and commenting out whole #EDIT#42:).

Regards, Darek

PS. Sorry for my english quality, it is not my native language.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. While nothing should be affected now, it's likely a good idea to remove these blocklists fromyour SpamBlocker list.

I'll take care of the masters within the next day or so, and create a new minor revision number.

Jeff

I'd hate to comment out the whole section #42. What's the actual fix? Can we just remove the last line of section #42?

As far, as I can understand, EDIT#42 was here only for "dnslists = rhsbl.ahbl.org/$sender_address_domain". So if we remove AHBL, it has no sense to keep this part of config.
But I think, that it will be good to wait for answer from Nobaloney to confirm or correct my point.

i dont have this rule in my exim.conf, im i the only one ?

I haven't made the official change yet (too busy) but will over this weekend. However in general yoou can delete mentions of ahbl in the exim.conf file but you must be sure to maintain the integrity of the code.

A line that ends up being the last physical line in a virtual line MUST not have a \ character at the end, and a physical line which IS followed by another physical line making up the same logical line MUST have the \ character at the end.

Jeff

I've updated my Spamblocker 4 configuration to 4.2.1, and I've removed the two ahbl blocklists.

http://www.nobaloney.net/spamblocker.html

It's easy enough to upgrade (simply comment out section Edit#42 and remove the entire line:
Code:
dnsbl.ahbl.org : \
from section Edit#41.

But if you need me to do it for you, you can contact me via email (address below in my siglines).

Jeff

Back