Php 4.3.9

Well, since DA hasn't updated their version yet, this apparently will upgrade PHP for you:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/customapache
wget [url]http://us4.php.net/get/php-4.3.9.tar.gz/from/this/mirror[/url]
perl -pi -e 's/(PHP_VER=).+/${1}4.3.9/' ./build
./build php
Then restart Apache :)

Last edited:
bah I forgot the perl command and it rebuilt 4.3.8 LOL

incidently it asks if I want to rebuild various components and I selected yes to be on the safe side but is it ok to say no?

incidently is there a reason register_globals needs to be enabled since I noticed directadmin enables it, I prefer to have it off but if there is a reason it needs to be on I will have it on.

it compiled without error but now all php page show this

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

One thing to take out, if you have installed MMCache, the new version of php may crash with your MMCache.

Recompile MMCache as well or simply disable it. =)

Good luck:D

Chrysalis said:
incidently is there a reason register_globals needs to be enabled since I noticed directadmin enables it, I prefer to have it off but if there is a reason it needs to be on I will have it on.

Thats the default. Disabling it will help make scripts more secure, although personally I leave it on and code my php scripts properly :p

jmstacey said:
Thats the default. Disabling it will help make scripts more secure, although personally I leave it on and code my php scripts properly :p
But do all your users code their PHP scripts properly?

Jeff

yes security is the reason I like it off, there seems to be no ill effects from it so I just edit php configuration after the install.

Chrysalis said:
yes security is the reason I like it off, there seems to be no ill effects from it so I just edit php configuration after the install.

Turning it off is a good idea, but you should warn your users before you do so.

jeffery said:
One thing to take out, if you have installed MMCache, the new version of php may crash with your MMCache.

Recompile MMCache as well or simply disable it. =)

Good luck:D

Yes, this is something very important to know before you upgrade.

btw, i recompiled my MMCache but still failed to start httpd after upgrading, so i had no choice but switch back to 4.3.7.

i guess i will spend my time to upgrade when DA will use php 5.0

neorder said:
Yes, this is something very important to know before you upgrade.

btw, i recompiled my MMCache but still failed to start httpd after upgrading, so i had no choice but switch back to 4.3.7.

i guess i will spend my time to upgrade when DA will use php 5.0

I haven't tried it with 4.3.9, but i have no problem with 4.3.8, so you may try to upgrade your php to 4.3.8 instead of staying at 4.3.7.
:)

well I can put up a warning about it sure, but if you check the reccomended php config not the dist version you will see register globals is set to off anyway so if all sites started using the reccomended config then the off sertting would be mainstream.

MMCache works fine with php 4.3.9. I just did a
Code:
make clean
phpize
make
make install
and it started fine.

phpize is part of the build process for MMCache. It sets up build parameters for your specific version/install of php.

If Turck-mmcache wasn't so picky about this and that and actually installed without errors on generic systems I would be tempted to write a customized customapache build script that included it. But so far, every installation I've done has ended up with a couple of hours of debugging to get it to work properly. :(

Maybe the next version of turck-mmcache if the project is picked back up again. (I noticed their working on a new website at least)

Back