Reverse DNS feature in DA 1.225

nhouse

Verified User
Hi There Again...

I updated our installation of DA yesterday and we are excited about the new features that the developers continue to add. We, as in my company (CCSi). For some time now we have tried to come to grips with reverse DNS and how that effects our email system.

With the v 1.225 update, our hope is that we can use the new feature set to help limit any reverse DNS issues that we "may" presently have. I say "may" because I generally get myself mixed up while trying to deal with it... yes, I know, it is a sad state of affairs :eek:)

Now for the question at hand... according to the new feature we can "Ability to easily add and manage reverse dns lookups on server IPs on the system through the dns panel. " So, does that mean that if we get the reverse DNS setup properly for the main server IP, that other IPs, our email system (standard DA), etc. will all follow suit? If that is the case, is there a certain way to use this tool? Can we simply use the tool to apply it to our main server IP and be done with it?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

PS: just to note... we also use a Baracudda SPAM / Virus firewall on our system... does this complicate things at all? (baracudda.ccsionline.net.)

I've not looked at the new version of DA (I hope to, today), but I'm adding to this thread to make it clear that adding reverse DNS in your control panel won't do anything at all unless your upstream provider has delegated authority for you to set up your own reverse DNS. It's NOT automatic, and in fact, unless you've got an entire C-Class of IP#s, it's not even customary.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the reminder... I have read that before. I guess I was hoping for a minor miracle. Hey, has anyone out there had good -or- bad experiences with getting BellSouth to delegate DNS authority to you?

Do you have your own network or subnet? Or just a few IP#s?

If the latter, I'd doub it.

Is your connection aDSL? If so, I'd doubt it.

Once you reply here I may be able to give you some contact ideas.

Jeff

Jeff... we have about 60 IPs and our web server is running over ADSL currently. Hmmm... sounds like a no go, huh?

If you've got 60 IPs then certainly they know you're doing something besides running a home network :) .

Do you have your own network? Or just 60 IP#s assigned at random?

If you have your own network you stand a good chance of them doing it. If you're just getting IP#s from their pool as you need them, then I'd say you have almost a zero chance.

Jeff

Jeff... sorry but I am a bit unsure as to what you are asking about when you refer to "network" in this context. DNS is not my strong point, I will be the first to admit (I'm mostly a designer and help with the DA updates, accounts, etc.)... BUT to try and answer your question... we do have a block of consecutive IPs from BellSouth that are dedicated to us and assigned to our webserver.

I hope this helps some?

Then you may have a network.

When they set you up what information did they send you as to how to set up your systems?

When you need more IP#s, do they just add them, and if so, do they add them consecutively or not?

If I'm going to ask someone for help for you I'm not going to be able to say "he doesn't even know if he has his own network."

Jeff

Jeff... sorry for the delay. I will confer to our senior tech to make sure what the situation was when we first setup our web server... he should know the details. I'll post here soon to let you know.

Back