Does DirectAdmin require quota support?

josetann

Verified User
Does DA require quota support to work correctly? Or does it periodically tally all the user's files and see how much space they're using? Did a search, saw someone that had quota problems, and another that stated DA would tally the DB size even though it's not owned by the user, so that leads me to believe it's not required.

Reason I'm asking is I'm setting up some virtual servers using UML, so they will need to be partitioned just like a regular server. One large partition would be nice (no worrying about /var filling up or wasted space), but quotas will not work on the root filesystem. I would HAVE to create another partition for /home, to get quota support (and they'd work on /home only).

I --think-- DA does, but I could be wrong. I had a problem in the not so distant past where quotas were turned off somehow, and it really screwed up users' disk usage.

Again, I'm just guessing :)

Hello,

The user partition should have quota support (usrquota in /etc/fstab)... although it doesn't *have* to be compiled into the kernel... What will happen there is the quotacheck program would have to be run nightly to correct the disk usage so that DirectAdmin can figure out the actual disk usage for each user. Any limits etc. would not be enforced, and their disk usage (for file files owned by their user) wouldn't change until quotacheck is run (/etc/cron.d/directadmin_cron). Other files, such as databases, are counted manually as the quota sytem doesn't count them either way.

John

It'd be a lot easier if I could just get quota to work on the root partition, but alas all I'm getting is:

quotaon: using //aquota.group on /dev/hda1 [/]: No such device
quotaon: using //aquota.user on /dev/hda1 [/]: No such device

Oh well. So I can't start quota, but tried what you suggested and quotacheck does indeed update the quota files when run manually. Least I have an alternative for anyone not wanting to partition up their drive.

Hello,

Just make sure you have usrquota,grpquota in your /etc/fstab, eg:
Code:
LABEL=/       /      ext3    defaults,usrquota,grpquota  1 1

Just not that DirectAdmin only set's the quota on the partition as specified by quota_partition=/ in the directadmin.conf file. If that line doesn't exist, then it defaults to home. Also note that if you change it to / and you DO have a /home partition, the quota's will not longer be setup correctly on /home :)

John

Yup, that's what I have:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 usrquota,grpquota,defaults 1 1

Recompiled kernels, tried upgrading quota-tools, nadda. I can mount root under a different mountpoint (such as /mnt/test) and quotaon won't error out for that mountpoint, but I don't see quotas actually updated (and some other problems, probably because /dev/hda1 is mounted twice).

Least I have a workable solution. Thanks!

Hello,

Just as a follow up, a packaged solution for adding the right data to the /etc/fstab, remounting the partitions, and creating the quota files would be to use the fstab.sh file:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./fstab.sh
John

Back