Trying to install MariaDB on CentOS 6.6

zinnium

Verified User
I am trying to do an install of MariaDB on CentOS 6.6. The install and drop-in replacement should be really easy, but I keep getting the following errors when I do it:

No package MariaDB-server available.
No package MariaDB-client available.
No package MariaDB-compat available.
No package MariaDB-shared available.

has anyone else ran into this on installing it? I am following the instructions from MariaDB's website. I have been double checking all my own stuff for hours here and this is so basic that I can't spot what could be causing it.

I know its not supported by DA on 6.6, but I like to see how it behaves

i fixed it.

I just checked the /etc/yum.conf file and found it was excluded. To who ever else is in the same boat as i was. here is my fix.

vi /etc/yum.conf

Remove the *mariadb from the exclude list

which originally looked like this:
exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* mariadb* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*

Changed to
exclude=apache* httpd* mod_* mysql* MySQL* da_* *ftp* exim* sendmail* php* bind-chroot*

I followed the install guide from from MariaDB and it worked perfectly.

I them set the *mariadb back into the exclusion list.

Finally turn off MySQL updates custom build.
vi /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf
set: mysql_inst=no

If you set mysql_inst=no i.e. disable custombuild script from installing MySQL for you, then you don't really need to exclude *mariadb in /etc/yum.conf if you want to keep it updated.

If you set mysql_inst=no i.e. disable custombuild script from installing MySQL for you, then you don't really need to exclude *mariadb in /etc/yum.conf if you want to keep it updated.

This was really odd:

Right after the install i did a:
vi /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/options.conf

to go and set: mysql_inst=no. However it was already set to NO. I am not sure why.

I am going to disable "*mariadb" from your suggestion.
Thanks for the idea!

Back