IP Management

Cecilia

Verified User
I had to manually enter the information that appears under IP Management using root access.

Want to know if any one knows how to enter this information through the Direct Admin GUI.

Thanks.

Once i added the domain there, how do I assign its status as server.

I manually changed its status from free to server using SSH? If there is a DA administrator here, I would appreciate an answer. Or is this a bug in DA and can't be done through GUI?

Last edited:
Cecilia,

I have no problems adding IP#s, and assigning them, using the DA web-based interface.

I don't understand some of your post.

Could you try rewriting it a bit more clearly? Then perhaps I'll be able to help you.

Thanks.

Jeff

I'll try.

When I use "Add IP" , all it ask me is the mask. So this is not the place.

What I am trying to do:
As administrator, I click on IP Management. This provides me a list of IPs that I have added. If the IP is reserved to a server, ie the nameserver, the status by default is "free", and I would like it to read "server" . How?

Same issue as this thread: but he didn't get an answer either. Or did he?

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4927

Thanks, Jeff. Hope that is clearer. PS. You seem to be the resident expert here. Doing a good job!!

Last edited:
Cecilia said:
When I use "Add IP" , all it ask me is the mask. So this is not the place.
I'm using the enhanced skin. When I click on "IP Management" under "Admin Tools I see two input boxes, one under the other, near the top of the screen. Once says IP and the other says Netmask.

After I fill them both in properly and click on "Add IP", the IP# becomes available.
What I am trying to do:
As administrator, I click on IP Management. This provides me a list of IPs that I have added. If the IP is reserved to a server, ie the nameserver, the status by default is "free", and I would like it to read "server" . How?
There's only one server IP#; it's the number on which DA runs.

The IP you're using for a nameserver is still available for use by the admin or by any reseller. It's use as a nameserver IP shouldn't affect that.

See Site Helper for more information.
Same issue as this thread: but he didn't get an answer either. Or did he?
I've never understood the fuss over assigning IP#s to nameservers, probably because I've been running DNS for a long time and I've always known that an IP# used for a DNS server can also be used for any other purpose.

I'm sorry I've never made that more clear.
Thanks, Jeff. Hope that is clearer.
You're very welcome, and I hope I've been a bit helpful.
PS. You seem to be the resident expert here. Doing a good job!!
I try. Our business model is based around server management and support to hosting companies. If I can be of more help please don't hesitate to ask. I'm always willing to respond on this forum as time and resources permit.

Jeff

I have gone through the link you have provided over and over again.. I must be braindead, as the link explains the meaning of free, shared, owned etc. and doesn't tell you how to get there. Am I missing something?

This is what I know of DA already (I'm a DA newbie).

1. You can't create a reseller without assigning it an IP first. So how do you do this? I don't want to assign the reseller an admin role, just a role to his resellers and domains.

2. After you have added the IP into your IP management bank, there is no easy way to edit the IP listing without SSH into the server.

3. By using DNS Management, you can create a domain and point it to the correct IP, but again this doesn't change the listing in the IP Management. This doesn't allow you to create reseller and use it as his domain.

I'm having a hard time wrapping around DA's relationship among reseller, users, domains, and IP. Sitehelper gives you definition of each button, and I think is missing some how-to-get-there. In Plesk and CPanel, the relationships are much easier to grasp.

I'm thinking it should be:

You needs to create a reseller account (which then becomes the reseller's website domain) -- this is where I 'm stuck on assigning it to the right IP through DA.

Then the reseller can create additional websites either by creating subdomains or domains.

Is this how DA works? Then I can't get pass #1 -- creating a reseller and assigning it to an IP. The only direction at site-helper that I could find out is in the Create Reseller Interface :
"Domain IP - Select "Shared - Server" or "Assigned" from the dropdown menu. If you choose "Shared," the Reseller's web site will be name-based and have the same IP address as the server. If you select "Assigned," the Reseller's web site will have its own dedicated (static) IP address, assuming at least 1 IP address is set as a feature in the Reseller Package."
...Doesn't tell you how to assign the IP to the reseller...

Any light you can bring into this will be help

Last edited:
The instructions aren't as clear as they should be and the Create Reseller page will show you IP#s you cannot select. Which confuses the issue even more.

I'll bring this to DA staff attention, and perhaps they can make it more intuitive in the next release or so.

But in the meantime:

You can only create a new reseller with the Shared Server IP.

Then, immediately after you've created the reseller you should, at Admin's IP Management Screen, assign one or more free IP#s to that reseller.

Then login as that reseller.

List Users.

Modify your own User data.

Set the IP to an available IP# and save.

Note that unless you've (as admin) assigned more than one IP to the reseller you must assign the IP# as shared as otherwise you won't have any IP#s left for the reseller's sites.

I hope this clarifies everything a bit.

Thanks.

Jeff

Back