Virtual Nameservers?

spikejr

Could someone please explain what checking the "Virual" box in the Nameservers reseller area and clicking create does? Here's what I am trying to accomplish: I want my Nameservers to be ns1.tempohosting.com and ns2.tempohosting.com instead of the ones they supplied. Heres the thing; my plan reseller plan came with 1 shared IP address. I have the tempohosting.com domain added to the system. Look at the picture below. Can I click create with those settings and expect to be able to use the nameservers I want with my Domain registrar?

-Steven

Attachments

• ns.jpg
    ns.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 522
Hello,

By clicking the virtual checkbox, the nameservers you create will be virtually added on top of the default nameservers for the server. You don't require *any* ip's to do that, nor do you need to check off any ips before you click "Create". The nameservers will not show up in your list (because you can have multiple virtual nameservers on the same ip, and we only show the main nameserver for that ip).

John

so...

So if I create ns1 & ns2 .tempohosting.com will I be able to give these out as nameservers to my clients to use in their domain name registration? Also, if they already have them set to the ns1.esecuresite2.com (the one that was provided for me) will the be albe to still access their site through the domain name while it "re-propigates"? Thanks

-Steven

Hello,

Yes, you can use either nameserver for domain creation and domain registration. ns1.ess2.com and ns1.tempohosting.com will both do the exact same thing. They are really only considered "virtual" with respect to DirectAdmin. In function, they are the same as any other nameserver.

John

THANKS

Thanks, now I understand a little better. Im going to try it out.

-Steven

Hello,

Go into the User's settings (Modify User) and change their nameservers. The old nameservers will still resolve, but you can just remove their dns records.

John

Yeah, I did that for a client, but now my system somewhere has these nameservers that I can't delete right ;)

It's not an actual problem, it's more like a feeling that it's not properly removed if you don't want it anymore :)

nameservers changed...

Hi.
When I change my nameserver ns1 and ns2 in Direct Admin nameserver panel, do I need also to change it for my own domain with my domain registrar?

Hello,

Although the old ns's might still exist, generally yes, you'll want to change it at your registrar because if you don't a) your current ns's *might* not exist anymore and b) why did you create ns's if you arnt planning on using them? :)

John

I want to change ns1 & ns2 ,that my customer see my ns,and not ns for my provider...

Back