Debian install

difficult question.

I know this is one of those impossible questions to answer accurately, but, I'm going to ask it anyway :)

What sort of timescale are you looking at to complete the new features and start work on a Debian build?

Thanks

Hello,

Actually, there has already been some work on it, just not by us. One of our clients took it upon himself to start to figure out what might need to be done, so this will speed up it's progress WHEN we start it.... If I had to take a guess...(which will most likely be way off :)).. I'd say we *might* start it in 3-4 months? ... that in no way is a sure thing, but you never know.

John

Hi all,

Based on the age of these posts, I'm now curious to know if/how a Debian install might be looking for DA?

I'm here on the recommendation of Jeff Lasman. :) *waves.

I've just purchased a new server and will be migrating nearly a hundred domains and several hundred users off of an old Cobalt RaQ2. DirectAdmin looks very interesting, but I'm leaning towards installing Debian, and I would like to know if this decision completely rules out DA.

thanks,

I haven't seen anything on the forum about this yet and given the fact that freebsd just got released I don't think there's much work done here yet.

But I'll leave it up to Mark or John to answer this.

Debian isn't "on our plate" yet. Won't be for a while (at least a few months), but times/dates are never set in stone. I'm basically not even worrying about it at the moment, as there are many other things to do with the OS's that *are* supported.

John

Even though thats the case.... it wont be long now until all your redhat versions are unsupported..... any idea when we get RHEL support..... we are looking to be going deep into the server sales area and more than likely going to use RHEL as our base OS with the only exception for now being fedora and possibly debian.

As far as I know I do not have any experience with FBSD which rules that option out currently.... and redhat 7.3 8 and 9 all go unsupported very soon... which leaves me in a difficult position when looking to keep DA on a platform I know :D

Chris

I'm leaning toward Debian

With no experience in FreeBDS myself, I'm leaning heavily toward going to Debian. The other main control panel we use has already been released for Debian, albeit only in Beta, and i'd love to see a Debian install of DA as well, since I grow to love DA more every time I log in. DA seems to grow on me, kinda like a fungus. However, I won't put up with this crap that Redhat is pulling with RHEL just to be able to use DA.

I mean really - no easy upgrade path, and it costs as much as the MicroShaft equivalent product. My guess is that Redhat is in bed with a few hardware manufacturers. What other reason would they have for not allowing a simple upgrade?

Debian is looking like the best option for me at this point - they have a clear direction and commitment to open source, and their product is stable. Everything that Redhat could have been :rolleyes:

DirectAdmin Support said:
Debian isn't "on our plate" yet. Won't be for a while (at least a few months), but times/dates are never set in stone. I'm basically not even worrying about it at the moment, as there are many other things to do with the OS's that *are* supported.

John

Well, i am quite amazed when I read that you aren't worrying about it, it seems taht there is a real demand for debian support and with the end of support of red hat, it might be interesting to get a debian version of DA.

Ideally, it would be nice to have the possibility to have an alternative to red hat for DA when it will be completely unsupported. (not talking about RHEL here)
Free BSD is one for sure but it is more different from redhat than debian is and I dont really consider switching from linux to BSD.

netswitch said:
Well, i am quite amazed when I read that you aren't worrying about it, it seems taht there is a real demand for debian support and with the end of support of red hat, it might be interesting to get a debian version of DA.

Ideally, it would be nice to have the possibility to have an alternative to red hat for DA when it will be completely unsupported. (not talking about RHEL here)
Free BSD is one for sure but it is more different from redhat than debian is and I dont really consider switching from linux to BSD.

We know they are expecting to get RHEL versions released for DA soon, however, I think there is more demand for RHEL over Debian (many users, including myself want to stay in an area we know well). It has been discussed previously and it seems RHL / RHEL / FBSD / DEBIAN are the ones DA are trying to cover (at least for the moment)

Im sure once RHEL is released as stable it wont be long before debian DA development starts taking place.

As much as you may be suprised, i honestly think the way they are working releases is very good - instead of diving straight in and releasing 15 versions of DA / linux at the same time they are keeping up with normal support and persisting with development at the same time. Do not forget there is already 2/3 versions of FBSD in development - they need to sort all bugs etc found in there upgrade that with the upgrades made in the normal RHL version, upgrade the normal RHL version itself and also support the current customers.

You may consider the above statement to be mine own excuse covering up the time during the debian porting although over the last few weeks I have seen some individual cases of support - certainly isnt a quick single command line fix, rather a few hours of continous work of all members of staff together.... not going to go into any further details there for what I think are obvious reasons ;)

Chrs

if the customer base is becoming large enough Mark and John might consider hiring someone to do support, or whichever field they are least experts in :)

The more OS'es, the more customers, the more customers the more support questions and more support questions put a drain on the development part.

Not that I'm in any way dissatisfied with current support, but this is just a thought for the future.

I must admit that until now I had a very good experience with the support and mark and jhon are certainly the most qualifyed persons to do it.

My previous post was to hammer the nail and say "there are also a lot of customer that would like DA on debian, as seen the situation with red hat".

S2S-Robert said:
if the customer base is becoming large enough Mark and John might consider hiring someone to do support, or whichever field they are least experts in :)

The more OS'es, the more customers, the more customers the more support questions and more support questions put a drain on the development part.

Very true and im sure it will be considered once the customer base turns a point where customer support is only just hitting a fair stand, however, I think at the moment there is no need for additional staff - the current development status is better than average in my opinion, they are going at a rate that is reasonable - its just a bad time at the moment and it should of been started sooner rather than later!

For now I think the best idea would be hold onto the last parts of your RH systems, leave RHEL & debian to come along then make your move.....

From the new forum setup, you may have noticed the 'reselling' area that has possibly given you a clue about something, if it hasn't you should have the clue now! that should also take the strain off DA , at least partially when it comes to main support...

I am not going into detail as I dont have any permission from Mark or John to do so :p, although I will say the support area and the future of DA based on support / development (whats been discussed above) has been discussed.

I think its safe to say DA has got things planned out for now and for a fair bit of time ahead of us :)

Chris

netswitch said:
I must admit that until now I had a very good experience with the support and mark and jhon are certainly the most qualifyed persons to do it.
My company, nobaloney.net, does very little actual hosting. What we've always specialized in is supporting hosting companies. We started support Cobalt RaQ users back when the main model was the RaQ2 and became the largest independent RaQ support house.

Later we became Plesk Gold Partners (you can find a link to us on the Plesk Gold Partner site), and we offer Plesk support as well, typically at the same pricing Plesk charges.

Now we're gathering up DirectAdmin expertise, though whether or not we'll ever make money supporting DirectAdmin is up in the air, as Mark and John have a price that can't be beat :) .

The DA design allows more flexibility in updating, adding packages, using vendor-supplied or third-party security patches, than virtually any other server administration package out there.

While there are still a few features I'd love to see, all in all I find it a great package at a great price.

Jeff

Back