H-Sphere VS Direct Admin?

dcpaq2

Verified User
Hello there Guys,

I am at a stand still on deciding what control panel out performs the other, H-Sphere or Directadmin?

Anyone here help me decide?

What advantages and disadvantages are there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

What else do i have to forward to?

Anything else that direct admin offers that hsphere does not?

Doug

dcpaq2 said:
Anything else that direct admin offers that hsphere does not?
Sorry, beyond knowing H-Sphere doesn't offer an auto-installer, I don't know anything about it.

You'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable in the ways of H-Shpere to reply.

Phi1.

H-Sphere Positives (as compared to DA):

H-Sphere includes Site Studio, so clients can set up simple websites themselves with no knowledge of html, and without having to buy any other software.

H-Sphere is truly mult-server, and includes support for Linux and Windows webhosting (Windows webhosting licenses are available from Microsoft, and incur a monthly charge; you cannot use a regular purchased license or a license that came with your system for Windows webhosting).

You can host websites on Windows, on Red Hat Linux, and on FreeBSD. You can host MySQL and PostgreSQL on Linux and on FreeBSD. You can host MS-SQL on Windows, and you can host Mail and DNS on Red Hat Linux and on FreeBSD.

H-Sphere Negatives (as compared to DA):

H-Sphere uses qmail, an absolutely ancient MTA (mail transit agent) that hasn't been modified or updated by it's author since 1998; it's free as in beer, but not open source.

H-Sphere is priced by the "account" and you can use up accounts quickly: Every admin, site-owner and reseller is a user.

The H-Sphere control panel itself (as opposed to the services (see above under Postives) can only run under Linux.

H-Sphere is quite limited as to what OS versions it supports; here's what they write on their website:
We support the following versions of Linux and Unix:
* RedHat Linux 7.2, 7.3 (not recommended)
* RedHat Enterprise Linux up to v.3.0 (ES/WS/AS)
* CentOS 3.1
* FreeBSD 4.8, 4.9 and 4.10

If your distribution is not listed, it is unsupported at this time. We don't support beta, testing, or unstable versions of any distribution.

For example, Red Hat 8 and 9, Fedora, Debian, and Mandrake aren't supported.
Email support is 20% of your total licence fee per year. It includes response between 2 am and 4 pm, M-F only.

Priority support, 24 hours and weekends, up to five incidents per month, is $300 for the first server, and $50 each additional server, minimum three months.

We're looking into offering H-Sphere support, but we've reached no conclusions yet.

Jeff

If it doesnt offer those, what other features does direct admin offer that would convince me to go with direct admin vs hsphere?

common guys convince me to go with direct admin.

I really need a good reason why i should spend $30.00 a month or a flat $300.00 up front.

What does direct admin have to offer that makes it better than hsphere?

Thanks

Doug

1) exim.

2) a friendly and vibrant user community

3) less expensive support

4) DA is much less expensive if you're going to go above about 50 sites.

Jeff

I have no plans to host anymore than about 5 sites, only reason i want a control panel is for the convience of "control" and to allow the host to control their account without having to allow them access to my server.

Think webmin would be just fine for letting others host their site on my server instead of using hsphere or directadmin?

webmin's just a thought.

Doug

DA is just less complex then Hsphere. More companies now support it. I have used Hsphere this past year and it is a great product, really in a different league then othe control panels. But there is just something simple about DA :)

Hey,

Think webmin would be just fine for letting others host their site on my server...

Yes, it certainly would be... The Virtualmin package is for virtual hosting management...

David

Back