What happens if...

bradstockdale

Verified User
I'm preparing to purchase a DirectAdmin Lifetime License, and a thought occured to me...

I've seen a lot of software companies come and go, and have lost software due to companies going out of business in the past...

Now, I am wishing DA all the success in the world and hope it is around forever.

But what happens if I purchase a Lifetime license, and in a few years DA goes out of business... Then say I have to change IP's... And I cant because DA would be gone...

What protection would you afford to purchasers that in the event of the company closing its doors that our software would continue to be functional, and we would be able to move to a different IP if the need arises in the future if something happens to the company? If something horrible like this occured, could we as registered users of DA expect to be taken care of in such a way as to provide continued usage of the software package?

Regards,
Brad Stockdale
CEO - GreenePA, Inc.

I would like to think so. DirectAdmin would probably not go out of business though, if something like that was going to happen I would think either it would be bought by somebody else and become under new management or by then DA might have a new license management system. Who knows.
Ultimately the word would be from DA of course.

"On the morning of November 21, 1980, 84 people died and 679 were injured as a result of a fire at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. This was the second largest life-loss hotel fire in United States history."
(Quote is from The MGM Grand Hotel Fire Investigation Report.)

What the article doesn't say is that the fire occurred during the Comdex show in Las Vegas, attended by many large and small computer companies. I was one of the perhaps very lucky ones who checked out of the hotel the day before.

A few small computer companies lost their entire staff and disappeared. I can't find any references to how many.

I also can't find any references to how many small companies completely disappeared after 9/11/02, for the completely different reason that there's just too much on the 'net to sift through.

But the danger is there, and the point is well-taken.

Jeff

Does DA even care about this thread? They haven't made one comment which makes me think about going with another control panel - not DA.

I think it's a good point but in my opinion should not be a deciding factor on using a company - else we'd all go with the Enrons of this world.

I also don't feel obliged to answer questions on how I run my business to anyone that asks - but sometimes I do - your question is relevant but there are also a million other questions and what if's as well, that could be asked of any company. So I also would not treat the silence as a reason not to use DA.

I don't know the answer to your question but and am pretty sure that somehow the reins would get taken over.

I would say use the best and then if something happens then switch to the next best - you'd probably catch it before things went wrong anyway!

Rob

For what it's worth to the persons following this thread:

I decided to go with DirectAdmin's product, even with my concerns about their licensing procedures.

Back