RAW Access Logs

You can download access logs in your control panel

http://<IP>:2222/CMD_SHOW_LOG?domain=<DOMAIN>&type=log

I have a question regarding e-mails actually, in the ftp there is a link that says "mail" and you get your domain names. When you try to enter those directories it says "550 s2swebhosting.com: No such file or directory". I've tried it on a customer login, and it says the same.

I'd like to be able to see in the mail directory and since that feature is there :p

Hello,

Ftp and the filemanager will chroot you to your home directory, so this makes any reference to / refer to /home/username. When you try to go into that domain you are actually linking to:
/home/username/var/spool/virtual/domain.com
where the true path to the mail is
/var/spool/virtual/domain.com

The mail is in the spool directory because that is where vm-pop3d needs it to be.

John

Ok, but then why add the link? If the link is not accessible you should just remove it then right? No point in having a link that's not working...

Well most people don't check their email through ftp :D

It was added add for pine, as the mail folder is created for pine's sent emails and things like that.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Well most people don't check their email through ftp :D

It was added add for pine, as the mail folder is created for pine's sent emails and things like that.

John
I don't check my e-mail via ftp, but it would have been a workaround in order to see the size of the mailboxes as requested in another topic ;)

is it not just possible to actually download the raw logs rather than just view them ?

Hello,

What DirectAdmin generates *is* the raw logs, just reading them and passing them through. You can access from the control Panel from:

User Panel -> Stats/Logs -> "Apache Usage Log" or "Apache Error Log"

Those links go right to the logs that are currently being used.

John

Yep I know that shows them nicely, but how do you actually download them ?

raw logs path

more than just download the logs, I would like to be able to reference them in a script with a path, something like: /home/username/domain.com/logs

is this possible, or do I have to log into the control panel, download them and upload them again to the path of my choosing?

Hello,

The apache logs are stored in:

/var/log/httpd/domains/domain.com.log
/var/log/httpd/domains/domain.com.error.log

You *might* have permission to view them (no gurantees), but that would be the easiest solution.

John

thanks for the info.

I'm doubting that path would be available, but I'll inquire with my host to see. maybe some sort of link could be made that the users would be able to access.

awstats, webtrends, etc - all need to access the files directly on the server, via URL or /path/to/logs/ ...

Any planned updates on this?

Hello,

You can always just make the paths world readable (if you can justify your logs being readable by anyone).. but normally stats programs can be run as root, so permissions don't really matter.

John

Log access with DirectAdmin becomes completely uncomfortable for popular sites, because it's really hard do download 30-100 Megs of access log.
And often when you got some error - you need to look into last entries of apache error log to figure out why. Every time you need that - you must reload WHOLE error log! That's horrible when log size more than few megs!

Log access in CPanel is much more comfortable.
1) It's provides access to GZIPPED access log instead of RAW UNCOMPRESSED log.
2) It's displaying only 300 last entries of error log - thats completely enough for some debuging work!

DA must think about that in my opinion. =)

I think users will be very pleased to see links named "Download gzipped access log", "Download gzipped error log", "Last 300 entries of access log" and "Last 300 entries of error log" at CMD_USER_STATS page :)

Last edited:
ClayRabbit said:
Log access in CPanel is much more comfortable.
1) It's provides access to GZIPPED access log instead of RAW UNCOMPRESSED log.
2) It's displaying only 300 last entries of error log - thats completely enough for some debuging work!

Compression, rotate file size limit or duration can all be configured with logrotate - external of DA... cpanel is nothing special there..

Chris

That's great, John.
Hope, you don't forget to add such links for subdomains too.

But what you think about compression when user wants to download whole log file?

ProWebUK, i'm affraid logrotate has no relation to that
issue...

Ah yes.. subdomains, thanks for the reminder ;) (It would still work if you manually enter the lines).

Compression is a whole other ball game... I'll look into it. There are the backed up ones, but they're generally a day old, at least.

John

Back