[EARLY RELEASE] DNSreplicator Version 1

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
EDIT 08/08/05 19:48:
We're releasing "DNS master2slave" tonight. It's the free and open source version of DNSReplicator. The announcement will be in this forum in a few minutes.

EDIT 10/25/04 8:55 am:
We've found a bug when two master servers were authoritative for the same domain and were being slaved on the same slave server. The bug is critical as it causes DNS to stop working on the slave server.

It's rather unlikely that two master servers will claim to be authoritative for the same domain, but it is possible if one doesn't get properly updated when an account is moved.

So we've removed DNSreplicator until the bug is fixed.

Announcing DNSreplicator, Version 1, now available on our Early Release program.

DNSreplicator allows you to host slave DNS on any linux or unix server, and automatically get information from any DA server.

DNSreplicator is unique in that it will automatically get all slave and master zones from your DA server, and replicate them on any other DA or other Linux or Unix server.

Once set up on the Slave server and scripts installed on the master servers it's responsible for, no human intervention is necessary.

DNSreplicator will slave an unlimited number of domains (limited only by system resources) and will sell for $149 upon it's official release in January, but you can get it now for only $100.

In addition to the standard DA Master Server Scripts, you can also get our Generic Unix/Linux Master Server Scripts (which will work for most linux and unix servers) at no extra charge, if ordered before the official release date.

This system is so simple that no interface is required, but a web-based interface for starting and stopping slaving, and adding and deleting master servers, will be available at no extra charge to all Early Release purchasers, upon the release date.

Purchase includes a single-server license, and also includes installation. A tarball file including all the files, and complete instructions for your reinstallation if necessary, are also included.

The website's not ready yet and won't be for a few days; if you're interested, write [email protected].

Jeff

Last edited:
Hello Jeff,
Can you please give me an example of how this work with a two DA server setup and a thried server for dns? Thanks.

I'll publish the "flow-chart" as soon as I have it in a polished form.

That should help.

Jeff

Jeff any word on the flow chart? I am at a standstill with my 2 server DA setup. I can not move forward until I implement a viable dns setup.

I'm swamped right now and I had to release an update to SpamBlocker today, as a prerequisite to VirusBlocker.

I'm going to be away much of next week at the ISP.CON meeting in Santa Clara California; I probably won't be able to get anything done until after I return.

:(

Jeff

I've got what I think is the missing piece (the program to take out the duplicates and warn you of them) last night, but I won't have time to get it integrated until at least next week :( .

Believe it or not, I am interested in finishing this up, but I've been very busy taking care of business.

Jeff

jlasman said:
I've got what I think is the missing piece (the program to take out the duplicates and warn you of them) last night, but I won't have time to get it integrated until at least next week :( .

Believe it or not, I am interested in finishing this up, but I've been very busy taking care of business.

Jeff
Could you still e-mail what you have perhaps ?

My script is running live at the mom, the bug you described is also on my script. But there is something else, I didn't use sed, but another program to cut up <domain>.db's into <domain> variables, the way I did this in the script I posted is wrong, you have to use sed or something, as a . is a wildcard, so if there are 2 domains with *db* in them, the system will also crash.
Donno if we were/are using the same method, but this is something I forgat, so possibly I'm not the only one ;) (no flame intended ofcourse).

As a solution of this, I've been cat <generated configfile> | grep -v ..., but I was thinking of replacing it with a database kind of design. (I want all my servers to be both master and slave for another).

You bring up some good points, Icheb.

Since I haven't looked at anything in a while, I can't tell you :( .

But if you write my email address I can make you our first beta tester for the finished product if you'd like.

It should be ready in about a week.

Jeff

jlasman said:
You bring up some good points, Icheb.

Since I haven't looked at anything in a while, I can't tell you :( .

But if you write my email address I can make you our first beta tester for the finished product if you'd like.

It should be ready in about a week.

Jeff

Fine by me; although I will most likely make some modifications to it ;).
You can e-mail me at sebastian _at_ sebsoft.nl.
I'll put my latest version on-line as well, if I don't forget. That way, you can take a peek on how I resolved some of the problems (or just created some new ones ;)).
I'll place an url to it online later today.

Since last I inquired they are hard at work. Heck you already know Jeff is hard at work helping people on this board every day. A true asset to the DA commnuity.

There is a product you can purchase now that has been out for a while called 4PSA DNS Manager. It will do what you want, but it costs a decent amount of money. It has some excellent features and a very good GUI. Sort of a different scope then DNS Replicator. I'm n not certain that it currently works seamlessly with DA, but they said it was not a problem and that they would write the necessary script for anyone who purchases it.

http://www.4psa.com/products/4psadnsmanager.php

Please note I do not represent this company. But I do know they make very good products for Plesk.

I will wait for Jeff and Icheb.

Last edited:
rldev & neorder: I must admit, I've not done very much with it the last few days/week. I do have a few idea's on how to make sure the system only uses a domain from a certain server, but most of these idea's are a bit out of touch with reality ;).
As for Jeff, I'm not really sure if he's had time to make progress.

At the moment, I'm using my latest version on a few servers, and it works fine (*fingers crossed*) as long as there are no duplicate domains on servers.

I've been reading through some BIND docs/books, but haven't really found a working solution yet.
The idea that would be best realiseable would use a (MySQL) database where the domain and the server to use are specified, but it would mean 'some' programming, so for the time being, I'm waiting to see if Jeff has had any new/good idea's on how to do this.

rldev:
As for the product you described, I believe it also uses a db of some kind. It's not really integrated into an existing system, by the looks of the screenshots.
Furthermore a plugin/addon for DA isn't available, it wouldn't be so hard to produce, but I personally wouldn't want to buy a product unless I'm sure I can actually use it (got bad experiences with another program).
It's more of a Plesk plugin, by the looks of it.

DNS replication isn't the problem, the problem is error detection/correction. Once someone has an idea to get a (sort of p2p) system going that, while generating, consults each server to see if there aren't any duplicate domains (and if they exist automatically use the RIGHT server ;)) it would work great with small to large company's (from 2 to 250~500 servers or something).

Okay, here's my input...

I've got all the pieces.

I won't have time to put them together until after VirusBlocker is finished.

The good news is that VirusBlocker is very close to being finished.

As the monkey said when they cut off his tail:

"It won't be long now."

(I first saw that quote on a sign in a window of a store about to open. Warburton Avenue, Yonkers, NY, in the 60s. I lived a bit further up the Avenue, diagonally across from the Yonkers railroad station and library, in one of those (then) fancy hirise apartment buildings across the street from the Hudson River.)

:)

Jeff

DNS Replicator Beta now available

DNS Replicator Beta is now available.

If you'd like to be a beta tester, please contact me by email (not forum PM and not in this thread), and I'll set you up as a beta tester.

This is the open-source version and it does solve the duplicates problem by sending an email.

Jeff

Wow very good to hear.

I'm not sure I understand how it solves duplicates by sending an email though.

We wracked our brains on this one for quite a while (a collective we; a programmer, some prospective users, and a Sr. Programmer Analyst [me]).

We decided there's no way to decide which master requesting slave service is the "right" one.

So we decided that sending an email to the slave server administrator instead of honoring any of the requests is the only way to handle it.

We considered a lot of options, including, for example, accepting whois as the definitive word, and accepting the path through the root servers as the definitive word.

We decided that neither of these would be reasonable, as both could be in a state of flux during the time the duplicate slaving was requested.

So the admin will get notice that the slaving didn't happen, and will have to contact the administrators of both servers (s/he should have their contact data on file if s/he's slaving them) and determine which is correct.

Jeff

I'm curious as to how systems like hsphere and cpanel dns module deal with duplication problems when they arise.

Back