Errors rebuilding exim.conf

Dannik

Verified User
Hi,

Running CentOS 6, this night I updated several services with the main purpose to reduce the amount of spam. So with a little help of Custom Build 2 (rev:1585) I did the following:

Code:
yum install db4-devel cyrus-sasl-devel perl-ExtUtils-Embed

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build set eximconf yes
./build set eximconf_release 4.4
./build set blockcracking yes
./build set easy_spam_fighter yes
./build set spamassassin yes
./build set exim yes
./build set clamav yes
./build exim
./build spamassassin
./build clamav
./build update
./build exim_conf

No errors so far.

But because several users sent e-mails using PHP-scripts I need those users to be trusted users. And like I did on another server, I edited /etc/exim.variables.conf.custom and entered something like:
Code:
trusted_users = mail:majordomo:apache:diradmin:user1:user2:user3
and I ran ./build exim_conf again.
At this point the errors began... While restarting the service, Exim complained about 2 lines regarding trusted_users. And indeed, in /etc/exim.variables.conf there are 2 lines. The first line is the one I added in /etc/exim.variables.conf.custom and the second one is the default line (trusted_users=mail:majordomo:apache:diradmin).

So, somehow rewriting exim.conf doesn't work as it should. But the strange thing is that I have another server with the same configuration. I installed Easy Spam Fighter 2 months earlier on this machine (with the same procedure as described above), but with the same added lines in /etc/exim.variables.conf.custom, running the updates didn't result in the same errors this same night:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build exim_conf

So, I'm wondering where these problems come from. Ofcourse it's a small step to adjust the errors in /etc/exim.variables.conf and restart Exim, but whenever there's an update or need to rebuild /etc/exim.conf I can do this all over again. Anyone got a clue where this problem comes from and why this is on one server only?

Regards,
Danny

Last edited:
Never mind, found the problem...

I entered an incorrect line:
Code:
trusted_users = mail:majordomo:apache:diradmin:user1:user2:user3
instead of:
Code:
trusted_users=mail:majordomo:apache:diradmin:user1:user2:user3

Also after the last line there's need for an extra linebreak and I forgot this. This resulted into 2 melted lines:

Restarting exim.
Shutting down exim:
Starting exim: 2016-09-22 22:34:30 Exim configuration error in line 10 of /etc/exim.variables.conf:
"truemessage_size_limit" is not a valid value for the "disable_ipv6" option

The code was:
Code:
disable_ipv6=truemessage_size_limit=50M

Where it should have been:
Code:
disable_ipv6=true
message_size_limit=50M

Thank you for watching this post :)

Regards,
Danny

Last edited: