How to change MySQL to Mariadb

Tommyhara

Verified User
Can anyone know how to change MySQL to Mariadb using CustomBuild in Directadmin?
I heard that using Mariadb is better than Mysql in manipulate data. if not, are there any alternatives to Mariadb or Mysql?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi, you can use:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build set mysql_inst mariadb
./build set mariadb 10.0
./build update
./build mysql

Regards

Hi, you can use:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/
./build set mysql_inst mariadb
./build set mariadb 10.0
./build update
./build mysql

Regards

Thanks SeLLeRoNe!

I will try it!

Just curious, mariadb 10.0 is the latest version of mariadb?

If no, how to set this to the latest version?

Regards,
Tommy

First thing, to switch to MariaDB you should have an "update-compatible" version, so, what MySQL version are you using?
Second, yes, that's gonna take the last stable.

Regards

First thing, to switch to MariaDB you should have an "update-compatible" version, so, what MySQL version are you using?

I am using MySQL 5.5.31

How & where to know it should have an "update-compatible" version?

Second, yes, that's gonna take the last stable.
Regards

Does Mariadb offer their latest version here ?

If so, why in your guide, it should be MariaDB 10.1? Just curious.

Thanks SeLLeRoNe!

Custombuild has support for newest MariaDB 10.1.x, and has supported it for a long time already. I am running MariaDB 10.1.17 on all my servers.

However, maybe it is best fok Tommyhara to upgrade to MariaDB 10.0.x first, and then upgrade to MariaDB 10.1.x, I am not sure if it is needed, but "better safe then sorry".

Custombuild has support for newest MariaDB 10.1.x, and has supported it for a long time already. I am running MariaDB 10.1.17 on all my servers.

However, maybe it is best fok Tommyhara to upgrade to MariaDB 10.0.x first, and then upgrade to MariaDB 10.1.x, I am not sure if it is needed, but "better safe then sorry".

MySQL 5.5 is compatible for update to MariaDB 10.0

Not sure if CB already support MariaDB 10.1

Regards

I upgraded mysql to MariaDB 10.0 and websites are running as well

But in the case if I got any problems, can I change back from MariaDB 10.0 to MySQL 5.5.31?

Thanks

Honestly i don't know, but i made the same upgrade (today i also upgraded to 10.1) and everything is working fine for 2 months now.

Regards

I might be interested in doing an upgrade to MariaDB 10.0 too. Are there differences in commands when I want to execute mysql queries?
Do I need to change settings in my.cnf? Because I now got this:
Code:
[mysqld]
local-infile=0
bind-address = 127.0.0.1
default-storage-engine=MyISAM
innodb_file_format=Barracuda
innodb_file_per_table=1
open_files_limit = 2048
innodb_max_dirty_pages_pct = 0
performance_schema=off
slow_query_log = 1
slow_query_log_file=/var/log/mysql/slow-queries.log
long_query_time = 10
or does that make no difference?

What are the benefits of upgrading to MariaDB?
Does anyone know if it's compatible with stream software like Centovacast and Castcontrol?

and last but not least, what's the easyest way to backup all databases in case something goes wrong during the upgrade?

The configuration should be the same, on a software prospective it should be as a normal MySQL Server.

Apparently, from tests i saw online, MariaDB is quite faster :)

Regards

Thank you.
But is faster the only benefit? Because I like stability more then faster so if faster is the only benefit, it's not enough reason for me to switch.

@Richard G. Please share your findings switching from mysql to mariadb. Want to do this also for a long time but was hesitating to do so.

But my situation could be different as I find under System Information that I am all ready running MariaDB 5.5.41. As I remember I never switched from mysql to mariadb before, so I guess it must be a default for Centos 7.

Apache 2.4.23 Running
DirectAdmin 1.50.1 Running
Exim 4.87 Running
MariaDB 5.5.41 Running
Named 9.9.4 Running
sshd Running
dovecot 2.2.25 () Running
pure-ftpd 1.0.43 Running
Php 5.6.26 Installed

@Wanabo: At this moment I'm still doubting to switch. I don't see any benefits yet. And just the fact that there is a MariaDB 5.5.41 and a 10.0 version and even a 10.0.1 version (which some people hesitate to switch to), doesn't help getting rid of my doubts.
Next to that there is no good manual to switch back to MySQL if it does not work like a charm during or after the upgrade, which means extra work because all servers are production servers at the moment.

I don't know if there is a default under Centos 7. During setup of DA you can choose what database you want installed. Still in that case, why MariaDB 5.5.x is choosen over 10.x and why are there 2 versions (5.x and 10.x)? It still keeps confusing me.
So I'll probably still wait to upgrade for the time being.

CentOS 7 doesn't have MySQL, has default now is MariaDB.

Well Richard, you may also consider security patches and related things, MariaDB get security patch usually sooner than MySQL, also for last security issue with /etc/my.cnf , MySQL still didn't release a fix, MariaDB is already fixed.

In my personal opinion, is a good thing to switch to MariaDB, i did few months ago and everything is working perfectly.

Best regards

Thank you for your opinion Sellerone. I was considering the security patch too. Luckily since we have DA it had not a big influence this time but it's important to keep that in mind.

Any thoughts on why there are 2 versions 5.x and 10.x of MariaDB and why some people still doubt to upgrade to 10.0.1?
A VPS is come available for a short time period, so I might be able to do some testing there.

I think that they just changed the versioning system (just guessing), because i'd read somewhere that you can switch from MySQL 5.6 to MariaDB 10.0 and is probably the last chance you've got for a safe-switch.

I'm not 100% sure, i'd read something about it few months ago, it may be correct or completely wrong :)

Maybe Google may be more helpful than me in this case :D

Best regards

I've been reading around a bit more. Also did some more Google searches.
It looks nice and I will do an upgrade on the test VPS, just to have a look at it. But on the production servers I will prospone it to begin next year probably or at least until some health issues I'm having are over.
So if something will go wrong, I will be present and am able to tackle the issues. Can't do that from out of the hospital. ;)

Back