subdomain accounts

xav

Verified User
can you make subdomain accounts in the reseller, instead of using a proper domain?

Resellers can create users, which may create one or more domains, depending on their hosting package.

One or more of those domains, including the one you set up when you set up the user, can be what most people would call a third level domain; something such as xav.example.com.

But then if example.com isn't hosted on your server you'll have to create DNS records wherever example.com is hosted. Or have whoever is hosting example.com delegate authority for the subdomain to you, in which case the automatic DA DNS setup would just work.

Does that answer your question?

Jeff

what i mean is can you create an account using a subdomain such as xav.example.com rather than a domain like directadmin.com

EG:

Add A New User ->

Username: example
E-mail: [email protected]
Password: xample
re-enter password: xample
Domain: xav.example.com (rather than example.com)
Package: exmpl
IP: ip

i need to no this so i can make accounts for people who dont own a domain so i can give them a subdomain account

Absolutely. Neither DA nor apache cares.

The only thing that cares is DNS. If you don't host the zone file for example.com on the same nameservers that host the subdomain zone files you'll have a problem.

If you do, everything will work.

Jeff

i dont really understand the DNS part. I need to know how to set up an account successfully using a subdomain, could you help or explain how to do it?

Just do it exactly the way you'd set up a domain.

Instead of setting up example.com set up subdomain.example.com.

Is example.com hosted on your server? If so, then that's all you need to do; DA will take care of the DNS for you.

If example.com isn't hosted on your server, then whoever hosts DNS for example.com will have to make changes to their DNS for example.com so that DNS for the subdomain is either handled on their server or delegated to yours.

Jeff

Back