Curious

charliez

Verified User
Hi all!

I'm having a very strange problem. Now it's not a biggie, but still let me explain.

Every now and then - say every week or so - all domains on my server except domains directly under my admin account, will become unavailable from my own ISP at home.

It works from other ISP, and through anonymizer etc, so it's obviously not a DA problem. But how can this possily be? It's not because I have recently registered the domains. Many domains under my admin account are much newer.

The user domains are completely unreachable for me - they do not resolve so I can't tracert or ping them. FTP is gone to - BUT mail works fine. If I use the IP address~username all is fine.

I'm just curious to what sort of strange phenomena can cause this behaviour. It happens again and again. For about a month now…

Cheers,
Claes.

A shot in the dark but....

Are you on a network at home?

If so try restarting your router.

Rob

matrixx said:
A shot in the dark but....

Are you on a network at home?

If so try restarting your router.

Rob
Hmm, you mean the router is acting like DNS, and not using the latest settings ?
That problem would solve itsself in a few days, I guess.

I think it's more along the lines of a bad ns server or something...

Yes , I've had the same happen a couple of times in the office here. I seem to be able to access all websites except those on a certain account.

From what we could fathom out here - the router was locking up while checking certain sites and not being able to re-look up the dns from the isp.

Thats what an 'expert' told me and it sounded good ;)

Anyway when we restarted the router is was fine and the next time it happened we did the same and it worked again.

Still don't fully understand the problem but the solution worked :)

Rob

Icheb said:
Hmm, you mean the router is acting like DNS, and not using the latest settings ?
That problem would solve itsself in a few days, I guess.

I think it's more along the lines of a bad ns server or something...

That's the strange part:
e.g.:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=freephoto-i.net

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=service-manuals.net

All seems fine. Some warnings, but no biggies.

I also thought it was some sort of router problem, but it comes and goes. That's what I can't figure out. Been having this strange problem for a month now. I can log into DA and keep an eye on the log files, and they tick nicely along. Obviously others can access the pages...

I'm past the panic phase now (had me up for 26 hours until I tried anonymizer and all was fine), but it's really annoying.

Cheers,
C.

Last edited:
matrixx said:
Yes , I've had the same happen a couple of times in the office here. I seem to be able to access all websites except those on a certain account.

From what we could fathom out here - the router was locking up while checking certain sites and not being able to re-look up the dns from the isp.

Thats what an 'expert' told me and it sounded good ;)

Anyway when we restarted the router is was fine and the next time it happened we did the same and it worked again.

Still don't fully understand the problem but the solution worked :)

Rob

Did what you guys suggested and restarted the router. Now, somewhat unexpectedly that did not bring back the sites, but also made the mail servers go away. Still can use the mail servers for domains directly under the admin user, though.

Where do you guys recon the problem is? Locally or my ISP? I have wireless network with an access point and a router at home.

Usually it fixes itself in 5-6 hours.

C.

I updated the DNS settings in the router from automatic to two of the three dns servers listed on my ISP's site. That fixed all. Still don't know why some domains were not affected, though.

Cheers and thanks for all the help!
Claes.:)

Last edited:
Possibly your ISP wasn't properly automatically assigning the right nameservers, and the reason you couldn't find certain URLs were they weren't in the local cache, but others were.

Jeff

charliez said:
I updated the DNS settings in the router from automatic to two of the three ips listed on my ISP's site. That fixed all. Still don't know why some domains were not affected, though.

Cheers and thanks for all the help!
Claes.:)

Just watch out they don't change them -
In an ideal world I think it's best to allow the isp to asign them upon login - maybe switch back once they've sorted things out. Or remember you've assigned them yourself if they stop working again :)

Rob

In an ideal world, who needs nameservers anyway? I mean when the waves gently lift your martini-tray and the palm trees make a sort of a swiiiish sound as the wind touches them lightly, dns management is not going to be your main concern :D

Still, there you are. I'll try to switch back later today, and use the manual solution as a sort of a backup.

As for cache - it must have been a cache of the ns record, not the site as such, because I used dynamic pages (and email). [I may be daft, but even I tried refresh, btw ;) ]

Thanks again!

Last edited:
We gave up on using automatically assigned nameservers a long time ago.

In fact we gave up on using our connectivity ISP's nameservers a long time ago.

If you can afford it maybe you can rent a virtual server somewhere and use your own nameserver or nameservers.

Jeff

Back