subdomain hosting

Sudbomains are currently only limited by the domain they're under, so you cannot limit the space or bandwidth of a subdomain.

You *could* make another full domain called pq.portkey.org (seperate from portkey.org) and do some dns modifications to portkey.org to make it resolve. You would have to add an A record (similar to a subdomain) to point to the proper ip. This would allow you to limit bandwidth. (Just select "limit this domain" when creating the new domain)

Hope this helps.

John

Is this going to be a feature in the future versions? I know in WHM, you can setup up subdomains with settings like that. Perhaps some kind of a guidefor new version if not. Some people might want to limit bandwidth to things like chat scripts, forums, galleries.

Same here..

I have a couple of subdomain customers that I will be moving to DA when the new server is online (should be by Friday!!!). If limiting them is not available yet, could you guys post instructions on how to set it up the way you mentioned so they can be limited?

No Need To do A record ?

Erm... it seems to me that I don't need to the A record

I made the accounts in the admin's reseller account. I made user packages. I just used the subdomain.domain.com

and it sent out the message. And I can see the directory.

Do I need to add the A record ?

im not sure how it works with DirectAdmin although with ensim, when you create a new site (subdomain) it automatically adds the DNS entries as if it were a normal domain.

Aslong as the subdomain account and main account are resolving to the same IP address which i think it needs to be for it to work you should be fine with just adding it :)

Regards
Chris

Yes, that's correct. When you create a domain called sub.domain.com, it will add a dns entry as though it's a full fledged domain. It's just when it comes to "who's in charge of resolving this domain"... if it works without the A record, great :) if not, just add it to domain.com's record.

John

What doesn't work? the dns records? it's not resolving? You have to make sure that the either the main domain is already on the system, or that the subdomain already resolves there using an external dns server.. because you can't steal a subdomain from someone else (ie: sneaky.microsoft.com) :)

John

I have tried doing this, and the subdomain only shows up as 403. The domain and sub are on the same IP and the same server, and all DNS records should be correct...

- Russell

I have tons of subdomain on our servers. You should not be having any problems at all. Make sure to delete the DNS records for the subdomain in the DNS administration, make sure in your domain DNS's records you have a A record.

Other than that it works everytime.

Yes I tried deleting the dns records for it under the main domain and it works fine, thanks a bunch ;)

- Russell

Back