install problems

bjseiler

Verified User
My first install kept aborting because /var/log/exim/exim_mainlog did not exist. So, I touched it.

Now I am getting

exim[35033]Exim configuration file /etc/exim.conf has the wrong owner, group, or mode.
exim could not open panic log - aborting

This keeps scrolling as I am logged in as root and I am not exactly sure what to change.

Apache is up and running, but the admin screen does not come up when I go to port 2222

This is in the error.log file -
2003:09:12-09:54:04: ioctl can't find the server's ip address for dc0
2003:09:12-09:54:04: The license file does not match your ip

I just checked the license page, and it definitely does match

This is in errortaskq

2003:09:12-09:56:00: service directadmin wasn't running, starting it
2003:09:12-09:56:03: service directadmin didn't start, re-starting it
2003:09:12-09:56:07: service exim wasn't running, starting it
2003:09:12-09:56:10: service exim didn't start, re-starting it

Everything in the install log says ok.

I see some things commented out in the exim.sh script. Should they be?

www5# cat exim.sh
#!/bin/sh

#script to install exim and friends (majordomo)

CWD=/usr/local/directadmin/scripts/packages
cd $CWD

killall -9 sendmail
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/sendmail_enable=\"YES\"/sendmail_enable=\"NO\"/' /etc/rc.conf

/usr/sbin/pkg_add -f da_exim-4.22-1.tgz
/usr/sbin/pkg_add -f da_vm-pop3d.tgz

tar xzf majordomo-*.tar.gz
cd ..
./majordomo.sh

#other files for exim.
#cp -f /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/system_filter.exim /etc/system_filter.exim
#chown -f mail.mail /etc/system_filter.exim
#chmod -f 644 /etc/system_filter.exim

#cp -f /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/exim.pl /etc/exim.pl
#chown -f mail.mail /etc/exim.pl
#chmod -f 755 /etc/exim.pl

#pop before smtp
cp -f /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/da-popb4smtp /usr/local/etc/rc.d
chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/da-popb4smtp

./webmail.sh
#./spam.sh

Brad

Last edited:
Hello,

I can say right now that the fix for the IP not maching in DirectAdmin is probably because the ethernet_dev=? option isnt set in the /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf, eg:

ethernet_dev=your_ethernet_device_for_the_ip

if you type "ifconfig" .. you'll be able to see which one is supposed to be used.

For the exim error, try:

chown mail:mail /etc/exim.conf
chmod 644 /etc/exim.conf

John

It looks like you were right on ONE count. My ethernet device was em0, not dc0. Thanks!

Brad

Last edited:
1. 2003-09-12 13:14:00 Exim configuration file /etc/exim.conf has the wrong owner, group, or mode
2003-09-12 13:14:03 Exim configuration file /etc/exim.conf has the wrong owner, group, or mode

Still getting this after running this -

chown mail:mail /etc/exim.conf
chmod 644 /etc/exim.conf

www5# ll /etc/exim.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 mail mail 25712 Sep 5 16:31 /etc/exim.conf

2. Under Show Services, the system information link gives me this - Unable to open cpuinfo for reading

3. Under Show Services, Exim won't let me reload, restart, etc. It just says error and gives no details.

I see that you got Exim running, please let me know what it was.

Unable to open cpuinfo for reading - still there when clicking on System Information link.

Ok, here is the fix:

chown root:root /etc/exim.*
chown -R mail:mail /var/log/exim

Also have to make sure the mail user has id #12..
> id mail

if it isn't, run:
pw userdel mail
pw useradd -g mail -u 12 -n mail -b /var/mail

You'll also have to go through and chown all files previously owned by mail, back to mail again, in /etc/virtual (including the directory itself).

John

exim panic logs

2003-09-13 03:01:18 19y5LK-0000aO-Iu User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2003-09-13 04:15:10 19y6Uo-0001Kq-IB User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2003-09-13 05:55:12 19y6Uo-0001Kq-IB User 0 set for local_delivery transport is on the never_users list
2003-09-13 07:33:32 failed to open /etc/virtual/pophosts for linear search: No such file or directory
2003-09-13 07:53:28 failed to open /etc/virtual/pophosts for linear search: No such file or directory
2003-09-13 08:30:23 failed to open /etc/virtual/pophosts for linear search: No such file or directory

Not quite sure what the top three messages mean, but I realize the bottm three are referring to when I tried to send mail out through the webmail system, but there is no pophosts file.

Should this file have been created automatically when exim installed or do I have to do it? If I have to do it, what is the format for pophosts?

Hello,

Top three are messages being sent to root, just create an alias in your /etc/aliases:
root: admin
or something.

pophosts file is created by da-popb4smtp.. so make sure it's running:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/da-popb4smtp start

John

www5# ./da-popb4smtp start
.: Can't open /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

I think you have linux paths set up for that function instead of freebsd paths so it can't find functions.

You are correct, the latest da-popb4smtp boot script will be in the templates directroy for the next release.

John

Back