Plugin: Parked Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayRabbit

Verified User
Administrator's Note:
This plugin has been superceded by a feature added to DirectAdmin: Domain Pointers, supported in Direct Admin since December 16, 2004.

This thread is now locked.

Parked Domains Plugin

This small plugin allows user to "convert" his Domain Pointers into Parked Domains.

(I just tired of waiting for that feature from DA developers, so I tried to implement it by myself.)

This plugin modifies <domain>.cust_httpd file (custom httpd configuration for domain) by adding or removing ServerAlias lines to it. Script executed with suid binary, so plugin becomes able to access and modify config files owned by diradmin.

It's my first plugin, so give me your suggestion about this plugin and it's implementation. ;)

Last edited:
I'm sorry but what is the difference between a domain pointer and a parked domain? Does this plugin allow you to assign a folder to a domain pointer?

Domain Pointer = browser redirect
Parked Domain = no redirect

(BTW, to assign domain (not domain pointer) to any folder you can use symlinks.)

Last edited:
So I guess search engines would be the only reason why one would choose parking over a redirect. Unless I'm missing something.

rldev said:
So I guess search engines would be the only reason why one would choose parking over a redirect.
Yeah. To waste more bandwidh ;)
Actually, I don't see any significant reason for such parking but customers asking for that all the time. ;)
Anyway, Parked Domain feature without Domain Pointer feature is better than vice versa, because it's more flexible and less expensive.

:) My customers would be confused, except for the search engine mavens.

I see a lot of plugins are starting to pop up lately which is starting to make the "Advanced" Area of the Control Panel a mess. DA if you are reading, we need a way to place plugins into any area of the skin we want.

Got this error..

plugin.tar.gz extracted
install.sh has been run:

cc index.html.c -o index.html
index.html.c:7:2: warning: no newline at end of file
`index.html' -> `../user/index.html'
mode of `../user/index.html' changed to 4755 (rwsr-xr-x)
mode of `../user/script' changed to 0700 (rwx------)
changed ownership of `../user/index.html' to diradmin:diradmin

Rob

hmm - I just tried parking a few domains and they just re-directed :(

Have I missed something?

Rob

With a parked domain your sopposed to be able to see the website without the domain changing.

For example, u2mike.info used to be a redirect to u2mike.com. So the url u2mike.com would show in the browser. But when parked u2mike.info still shows the same website as u2mike.com, but you see u2mike.info as the url in your browser.

We create a site named parked.example.com, where we control example.com. We give it it's own IP#.

Then we simply create DNS and only DNS for parked websites, pointing to that same IP.

It works for a parked webpage, though it won't work for email.

Jeff

matrixx said:
hmm - I just tried parking a few domains and they just re-directed :(

Have I missed something?

Rob
It must be working in 3-5 minutes after making changes in control panel. Just wait for httpd.conf rewriting and apache restart.

DirectAdmin almost never works in real time; it sends messages to datasq.

Jeff

It doesn't remove the plugin.

More verbose answer:
Code:
Plugin(s) Un-Installed

Details

uninstall.sh has been run:

Nothing to uninstall

And it's still there

Of course it doesn't remove the plugin. If you want to _remove_ it press [Delete] button in DA.

BTW: Plugin updated to version 1.02 - bug with new sessions directory (since DA 1.23.1) fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back