Spam Assassin

Hello,

It's already available, you just have to turn it on:

cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./spam.sh

then edit /etc/exim.conf
and uncomment the spamassasin transport and director (remove the # character from the start of the lines)

John

Can particular domain users turn on and off spam assassin?

I wouldn't want to turn it on for all domains. It's petter to let the domain user decide on that.

Cpanel (End-User panel) allows installation of SpamAssassin on a per-domain basis.

I hope DirectAdmin can add this feature soon.

CPanel allows everything including search engine submitters.....:rolleyes: you can make up your own rulesets for spamassassin aswell as mailscanner, would take a bit of time and possibly a small cost....... automatic intergration with directadmin would simply be echo 1 line into the file using the domain variable. then to remove just wipe the line.

How can I add SpamAssassin to a domain, using DirectAdmin's Reseller and/or End-User panels?

I believe the installation requires access to directories that are denied to End Users?

Hello,

Right now it's just on or off for the whole server, hence it's on the todo list.

John

We offer our clients both SpamAssassin and spam-blocking via several RBLs (realtime block lists).

By default for new clients we turn SpamAssassin on (since it just marks) and we turn RBLs off.

The choices we offer are:

1) SpamAssassin on, RBLs off
2) SpamAssassin on, RBLs on
3) SpamAssassin off, RBLs on
4) SpamAssassin off, RBLs off

If server load were our only concern we'd force our clients to use RBLs to catch up to 99% of the spam, and SpamAssassin to catch 60% or so of the rest.

Not only are RBLs more effective, they take a major load off the server, blocking the spam before it's accepted for delivery, at RCPT time, and the few false positives get directed to a friendly page explaining the problem.

SpamAssassin puts a major load on the server, as it has to scan each incoming email through lots of rules.

And even with multiple and very effective rulesets, we still don't catch over 60% of the spam with SpamAssassin.

However many of our clients want to get all their mail, even suspected spam, so we do offer only SpamAssassin as an option.

If you're running at least Exim version 4.24 I'll be happy to give you our RBL blocking ACL and you can set up the files it requires yourself, or we can offer the entire setup on your system as a service.

For those who don't want to even see spam, we're offering SpamBlocked.net; a complete offsite solution.

For more information on what we're doing and how we're doing it see:

http://www.spamblocked.net/

Jeff

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

Right now it's just on or off for the whole server, hence it's on the todo list.

John

Any ETA on this? I get literally hundreds of spam messages every day, and would love to enable it for my personal account. However, I'm one of those admins that don't want to force the same settings on everyone and needs spamassassin to be configurable on a per-domain or per-user basis.

I think it's a pretty important issue.

Though it's not that hard to add for DirectAdmin. Basicly it's just adding the domain to a file, to enable/disable it (exim just looks up whether or not the domain is in the file).

Hello,

I would most likely not be overly difficult, but we're currently working on larger things at the moment. If someone is upto figuring it out, be my guest :) (mainly, the specifics in the exim.conf and the spamassasin setup)

John

I've figured it out :) .

I'll be posting a new exim.conf file which works for us for both SpamAssassin and using RBLs to actually block at the server, to the howto section later today.

And instructions for whitelisting domains/users from SpamAssassin.

And instructions for blacklisting senders in SpamAssassin.

Jeff

jlasman said:
I've figured it out :) .

I'll be posting a new exim.conf file which works for us for both SpamAssassin and using RBLs to actually block at the server, to the howto section later today.

And instructions for whitelisting domains/users from SpamAssassin.

And instructions for blacklisting senders in SpamAssassin.

Jeff

Looking forward to that

Thanks a lot Jeff :) Many people will greatly appreciate your efforts! Once it's setup, I can add the required interface to DA.

John

I'm delayed in setting it up...

Here's why:

My original box is running spamd

Our new box isn't.

I just installed spamassassin and it installed without errors, from your shell script.

But when I tried to start spamd manually, using

/usr/bin/spamd -d -a -c -m 5

(which is what's in the startup script I've got in my /etc/rc.d/init.d directory in my original box), it fails with:

[root@bes init.d]# /usr/bin/spamd -d -a -c -m 5
Can't locate HTML/Parser.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../lib /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/HTML.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/HTML.pm line 7.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 44.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 44.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 62.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 62.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/spamd line 32.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/spamd line 32.

Perhaps I've done something wrong in my setup of the new box. Nevertheless, until I know why some boxes are different, I can't go ahead with this.

Any ideas, John?

Jeff

Back