Colo Center blocks port 2222 ?

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
We have a client with a server at CIHost.

This morning he started getting calls from his clients; all services are working but they can't get to the control panel using DA on port 2222.

Every diagnostic, including telnetting in on port 2222 and running netstat shows that DirectAdmin is running and accepting data on port 2222.

With firewalling turned off still no connections from outside the server.

We've reached the unhappy conclusion that port 2222 is being blocked by CIHost. Trying them at this hour (02:00 - 03:00 PDT) yields no response.

Anyone else with CIHOST? Anyone else with this experience?

Jeff

Have you tried temporarily changing the port for DA to see if you can access it on another port.

Also, was it working before? (or is this a new setup?)

It was working properly until 36 days after the new license install.

I don't know how to run DA on any other port besides port 2222. I've asked John to look into the system for us.

Jeff

I don't know how to run DA on any other port besides port 2222.

Does changing the

Code:
port=2222

line in /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf work? (Haven't tried this myself, just speculation.)

Andy

I don't remember seeing that line (and I do remember looking for it <frown>).

John logged in and changed that line for me, and yes, clients can log in on the new port number.

So it does look as if the datacenter is blocking port 2222.

Don't forget to restart DA afterwards if you do it yourself.

And don't forget that DA won't be able to update itself (but I don't think it does that currently anyway).

If you've got a montly license you'll probably have a problem as well.

Jeff

I was in their data center in Chicago for a while and they blocked port 53 from coming into the data center for about a day before I could convince them of the implications of this and get them to change it.........wow.

I wouldn't trust any data center blocking port 53 for any length of time to hold any of my servers; if they were blocking port 53 then you were their first customer that actually used their data center for public-facing servers. And I sure wouldn't trust that.

Of course I wouldn't trust a data center that blocked any ports at all.

But that's another story.

Jeff

I host with CI HOST

I'm hosting with CIHOST and just ran into the same problem

My port 2222 was working find, and just today... 2222 is not working at all.

I have emailed CIHOST to check to see if they blocked 2222.... No reply yet.

If they have, it's under contract that you can request to unblock the port. Although they should notify us before they do crap like that.

They will only unblock a port if it is a Colo server and not a dedicated server.

I dont think they blocked 2222, but I guess they may have.

How do I check to see if DA is running properly?

Mike

Re: I host with CI HOST

drackox said:
I'm hosting with CIHOST and just ran into the same problem

My port 2222 was working find, and just today... 2222 is not working at all.

I have emailed CIHOST to check to see if they blocked 2222.... No reply yet.

If they have, it's under contract that you can request to unblock the port. Although they should notify us before they do crap like that.

They will only unblock a port if it is a Colo server and not a dedicated server.

I dont think they blocked 2222, but I guess they may have.

How do I check to see if DA is running properly?

Mike

What datacenter are you in?

Checking if DA is running:
==================

SSH into your box

# ps -aux | grep directadmin

You should see lines like this if DA is running...
---
nobody 2681 0.0 0.0 4316 112 ? S 02:42 0:00 /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin d
---

Jeff had another command to see if the port is enabled, I can't remember the command but maybe Jeff or someone else can tell us...

Regards,
Onno

Neither of which will allow him to administer DirectAdmin through the web-based interface, which is what this is about.

You probably misunderstood what he wanted to do.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Neither of which will allow him to administer DirectAdmin through the web-based interface, which is what this is about.

You probably misunderstood what he wanted to do.

Jeff

Sorry, I thought the original question was, how to verify if it was up. I'm not patient enough to try to navigate the directadmin panel from a text editor. That would just suck :( Heck, I'd turn on a http proxy deamon on the box first, bypassing the NOCs port blocking, and use my graphical browser before I attempted to use a text browser. Yes I'm that impatient.

Rereading the last few posts in the thread, Travis, you may very well be right. I tend to just scan over posts, and I could have missed that little nuance.

I believe they've now unblocked the port.

Which of course they should have never blocked in the first place.

Jeff

Back