DNS newbier

stromboli2

Verified User
Hi,
I have no experience with BIND.
DNSreport.com reports my two nameservers are not working.
Here's what I did:

a. I Configured apf to let all the traffic in the port 53.
b. I changed the godaddy records 5 days ago, with the name of my nameservers and the correct IPs.
c. Named is running in my server.

Now DNSreport says:
nameservers respond
ERROR: Some of your nameservers listed at the parent nameservers did not respond.
Then it shows the two IPs of my nameservers.

FAIL
Missing nameservers 2 ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns1.myfirstns.net.
ns2.myfirstns.net.

I'm missing something. The nameservers that did respond are external ns.
What else do I have to configure/change?

Cordially,
Strom

Re: Hi

stromboli2 said:
Thanks for the tip, I always put general domains and stuff because I think it's more usefull is someone else is seeking for help:
Here is the complete DnsReport Logs:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=todalanet.net
It looks as if you're using everydns.net for your dns, and not your own nameservers.

Are you ?

If so, then make sure you've entered the right nameserver data (obtained from everydns.net) into your registration information at your registrar.

And then make sure you've got all the records you need set up in your account at everydns.net. (If you don't know what to enter there then you'd be better off registering your own server as DNS server, and setting that up at your registrar, as DA is good at setting up proper DNS records and does it by default.

If not, then enter your own nameserver information for your domain at your domain registrar.

If you're using everydns for your dns, then this probably isn't the right place to ask, as DA isn't responsible for your DNS. If you aren't, then you've got to change the settings at your registrar.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I am using everydns nameservers, what I tried to do is to switch and start using my own nameservers.

I supposed the way to do that change without affecting the access to the sites is to continue using everydns's ns untill (my own ns) ns1.ithaki.net and ns2.ithaki.net work fine. That's why you see the 6 nameservers (4 from everydns and two of my own).

I did update the nameserver data at my registrar a week ago.

My problem is that according to Dnsreports my two nameservers are not working properly.
Cordially,
Strom

It appears that your server is not responding to DNS requests.

Make sure it's running:

Try...

$ ps waux | grep named

(don't type the $ sign; it's just to indicate you can do it as a regular user; you don't have to be root)

and let us know what output you get.

Jeff

$ ps waux | grep named
named 10530 0.0 0.1 36648 1120 ? S Nov02 0:00 named -u named
admini 25380 0.0 0.0 5076 620 pts/0 S 16:33 0:00 grep named

I found something that could be it in the logs:
--------------------- Kernel Begin ------------------------

Dropped 15754 packets on interface eth0
From 12.25.244.15 - 6 packets to udp(53,53)
From 12.37.213.230 - 7 packets to udp(53,53)

The logs says it dropped all the packets from udp 53,53.
But I allowed the port 53 in the apf configuration.
Strom

It certainly looks like a problem in the firewall configuration.

Did you allow UDP on port 53, or only TCP/IP?

Jeff

Back