Dare I say it..? Mandrake

nommo

Hello all,

I have had my own server colocated for a year now - and although I am no guru - I know enough about linux to know that I don't have time to do individual client account management via command line - namely I need a control panel!)

I liked the look of CPanel - but after looking into security and other important issues - I decided on DA.

Problem is that I am using Mandrake 9.2

I know it isn't on the roadmap - but is it off the world view?

I am not looking forward to running into the colo facility with a BSD cd and trying to migrate my existing users/services over.. but I am trying to get used to the idea. Big commitment tho.

Anyone else tried to 'migrate' OS for the sake of DA?

I don't think Mandrake will be supported any time soon.

Anyone else tried to 'migrate' OS for the sake of DA?

Yes, from OpenBSD to FreeBSD. Not only because of DA, but also because OpenBSD didn't work out so well for my goals.

I did move from slackware to FreeBSD. Although Slackware might not be considered a good server OS, I thought it exceptionally efficient, but I've also come to like FreeBSD to.

No dis to Mandrake as it was the first non-windows Operating System I had touched, but I don't see it becomming a mainstream server Operating System. Development is geared to user usability using graphics. In my eyes, in a sense I could compare it to Windows XP although better other than game support, but thats another issue :p

thanks for the replies guys..

yeah - i have noticed that not many other companies use mandrake for web hosting ;-)

well - it's a toss up between installing BSD, getting the server back up and running and back in colo (a few domainas, sql/php bits i will need to get up) or:

doing something else with the server (like selling it?) and setting up a reseller account with a control panel (so i can concentrate on the clients websites etc)

decisions, decisions

On Mandrake, consider using virtualmin. It's a great free control panel that works well on all kind of environements.

It's not as feature packed as DA of course, but it fills all the basic tasks.

Mandrake has some strange restrictions and ways of handling applications, so it's not easy to run standard control panels. Even off the shelf web apps can be difficult to setup.

Back