Too much space for non-functional buttons/icons in grid view

zmippie

Verified User
Every once in a while I take a look at the progress on the long-awaited Evolution Skin. I see people complaining about the fact that it missed the projected deadline by a long shot, but I think the guys working on this are doing a great job. Things are looking very slick. Judging from the information I gathered, it seems almost like a total rewrite, which is a HUGE undertaking for a product that evolved over so many years. So kudos guys.

But here's my 2 cents regarding the new UI: I don't think it's very space efficient. In "Grid view" you've got these huge "Account Manager", "Email manager", "Advanced Features" menu items, that, when clicked, don't do anything. They're just for hovering showing dropdowns, which in contrast are too small. Any well-designed website or app interface will at least let you click these main categories, and show the sub-items in a new view, with a more friendly (larger click targets) layout than these dropdowns (which sometimes span two columns, ugh). But I see the problem with that: an extra menu view layer, which is undesireable.

In "list view" you can expand the main categories, but then you just get a waaaay too big top menu which will not play nice on smaller screens. Would it help if you could just quickly collapse this entire menu area so you can focus on the view that's shown below? Not ideal too I guess. It's too late in the evening, I'm rambling now. Love what you're doing, but note my concerns about space efficiency.

These a just a couple of quick thoughts. I'll have to spend more time with it to

Back