freebsd 5.3 final stable released

blueice

Verified User
agreed development should be based on 5.3.

I am practicing the remote upgrade to 5.3 over lan and if that succeeds I will then do it on my test DA box, so I will be able to report issues I find.

We won't need to notify DirectAdmin if we are upgrading from 5.1 to 5.3 will we? It does not affect the license check process does it?

Last edited:
Only if DA makes another binary specifically for the 5.3.x line.

If the 5.2.x binary will continue to work for 5.3 they probably won't create another one.

ok here is what I already noticed.

1 - Bind is in its usual spot, but version 9.30 istead of 8.x, it is controlled by rc.conf variables if it runs chrooted or not, the defaults are to be chrooted.

2 - I upgraded with compat4x installed and all my ports didnt need recompiling.

I have scheduled my test DA box to be done this coming saturday so until then I wont be able to see how it affects DA, but I expect no serious consequences from it, bind may potentially have an issue and its possible I will need to recompile some daemons but it should work ok. My production server at least for the near future I wont be upgrading yet.

I hope it is needed the directadmin team to test soon the 5.3 release and make sure tha tall is working fine.
It is important to have a support for 5.3 soon because 4.9 stop security updates now and 5.2.1 in dec 2004.
I have upgrade to 4.10 some servers but i prefer to make OS reinstall with 5.3 because my servers have HT. Also to use UFS2 needed the OS reinstall.

Back