OS to use with DA

Pate

Verified User
Hello there,

I am currently a cPanel user about to migrate to Direct Admin. So far everything looks good, but when it comes to OS selections I am not really sure what to pick.

I noticed FreeBSD is supported, but this doesn't work that well with cPanel as far as I know. This leaves me thinking if DA fully supports it?

And what version of FreeBSD should I use?

If you have any other suggestions on OS that is better suited for DA, please let me know.

This is just my observation, but it appears that more problems are reported on these forums for DA running with FreeBSD than with Linux.

If you're an expert at FreeBSD, then perhaps you can help resolve these problems, and we'll welcome your use of FreeBSD.

If you're looking for a seamless integration, then I'd say go with one of the RH Linux flavors; DA was originally written on RHL.

We use WBEL; others successfully use CentOS.

Still others use RHEL.

All are functionally equivalent; WBEL and CentOS are open source compiles of the RHEL source code.

We do not recommend the old Red Hat Linux distributions 7.x, 8 and 9, because security updates are no longer available on a regular basis. We don't recommend Fedora, because it's a communitys supported OS with a short life cycle.

(RHEL WBEL, and CentOS all have a five year guaranteed support lifespan at inception, with about four years left for the most current release, which is 3.3.)

Jeff

Thanks for that quickreply.

Will be a hard decision, but I guess I'll use one of those distros you recommended. :)

Thanks again, jlasman!

If anyone else wanna leave their thoughts and thinkings I would be more than happy. :)

I got some advices and opinions from other users and finally decided to give FreeBSD a try.

Thanks jmstacey, feels good to hear more positive comments about my choice of OS. :D

if I want to install with centos, which Operating System should I choose on DA order system?
Red Hat Enterprise 3.0 ??

Yes, CentOS3.* is built on the source of RHE3. And CentOS2.* is built on RHE2. :)

Last edited:
Which development path is better supported, WBL or CentOS? If I look at their websites, WBL has updated it a whole 5 months ago, while CentOS did something in november.

[edit]
I mean the support path ofcourse, how long does it take before updates released by RH are converted / rebuild for CentOS?

Last edited:
S2S-Robert said:
Which development path is better supported, WBL or CentOS?
They both offer updates very quickly in my experience.
If I look at their websites, WBL has updated it a whole 5 months ago, while CentOS did something in november.
I don't know where you get that from; Their home page has an item dated October 6th of this year, and Mozilla reports to me that it was last updated on October 6th.

Either one's updates should work on the other one's release.

Jeff

jlasman said:
They both offer updates very quickly in my experience.
Perhaps I should question this at another place, but since we're discussing it here I'll go ahead and be lazy :p.

Do they offer yum support for the updates? are there special repositories that will add functionality for it?

They both offer yum support.

Do you mean third-party respositories?

I'm not sure, but in any case, any repository for RPMs for RHEL, WBEL, CentOS should work with any of the others, since they're all based on the same code.

Jeff

Back