Installing Community Forum Scripts, just like this web...but it's not working!!!

greeycom

Verified User
Hi,

I am trying to set-up a chat/community-forum script system ---> phpBB2. Basically it is pretty much exactly the same as this message forum!!! But I can't make it work.

I have set-up the database I wish to use with this chat in Directadmin...namely greeycom_gmtalk.

In the instructions given with the phpBB2 system, I am instructed, once I have ftp'ed all the unzipped files to my server (and I have done that...ftp'ed to the public_html folder), that I point my browser to www.greenmonkey.com.cn/phpBB2. Apparently, a script control panel should automatically take over from here and I proceed from there to enter the permission details for the database into the script. Once the script gets these permissions, the forum is built automatically. However, when I point my browser to the location above, I just get lots of gobble de goop.

I was wondering if there might be a problem with below:

I noticed that PHP is set to 'off' on the 'details for greeycom' page and I wondered if this may be the problem I am having installing the chat/community-forum script. Is there some reason that PHP is not allowed? Can it be allowed?

This is my first time to set-up a forum. I have read everything on site-helper and in the directadmin.com forum on the issue. I still can't figure this out.

I bet someone here has some idea of what is wrong. Many thanks in advance.

Simon.

phpBB needs PHP, just try to enable PHP for this user.

From DA Admin panels:
1) Select Show All Users
2) Select the User
3) Click the "Modify User name" button.
4) Check the "PHP Access" field and Save.

HTH+

Must be not allowed

Thanks Markus.

I just tried modifying those privileges, but it doesn't save them. There are three privileges to modify in my settings. It seems I am only able to tick the CGI Access. When I try to tick the PHP Access or Secure SSL...it doesn't work...my request is ignored. See below.

Secure SSL (Ignored if not allowed)
CGI Access (Ignored if not allowed)
PHP Access (Ignored if not allowed)

Perhaps this wasn't included in my hosting package...I would have thought it would be. Or perhaps there are restrictions on these things within China (which is where I am) i.e. posts that go against the Chinese government. I will check this out with my host and also re-read the hosting agreement to see if this is mentioned. Perhaps I need special permission and verification.

Thanks, Simon.

p.s. Please keep posting if you think it should work anyway :)

No, it should be allowed...

Just found out that PHP support was part of my hosting package. I guess that would make sense, since most should support it. However, it still doesn't work for me....plus, in DirectAdmin, it still only shows that CGI is supported (out of the three options) and I can't seem to enable PHP at all.

I have contacted the administrators...but anyone else here got anymore ideas in the meantime?

What the *&%!?

Ok, so now PHP is 'on' in my DirectAdmin control panel.

I don't know how that happened. It didn't work several times when I was clicking before....now when I logged in to see, it was miraculously on. Perhaps someone was responding to the query tickets I made through my server...but they haven't confirmed anything so far.

If you have problem with PHP, just check if it's enabled

Ok, it is going. The problem must definitely have been that PHP wasn't enabled on my server. It should have been, but someone to do with my hosting must have read the messages I sent through to them and then gone and allowed PHP support. Good...except they haven't confirmed that they did this.

It is really easy to set-up the forum-community, it seems....such power :D Just make sure it is enabled on the server (maybe my server people were trying to save some licensing cash for a while...who knows)

Back