External DNS server and subdomains

wombat

Verified User
I am hosting a domain that is using external DNS servers. I have deleted the zone file from the DA box. However when I try to create sub-domain DA throws an error: "Error reading named db file" so its obviously looking for the DNS to be hosted on the same box. What I wanted to do - create the sub-domain using DA, and then manualy make the modifications to the zonefile on my external DNS servers. Is there a way to do this, should I just leave the zonefile on the DA box even when its not needed? or is there some workaround?
Thanks
David

The easy way, David, would be to continue to run DNS on the box. However if you do, you must make sure that the information is correct.

The better way would be to have the DA folk make a change so the error would become a warning.

Jeff

wombat said:
should I just leave the zonefile on the DA box even when its not needed? or is there some workaround?
Thanks
David

That's exactly what I do. Some of my domains have their dns at dnsmadeeasy.com and I just leave the redundant zonefiles on my server. It doesn't really do any harm as far as I can see.

What do you mean "you must make sure that the information is correct" Jeff? If the domain is delegated only to the external DNS servers, does it really matter what information is on the DA box? Fo example, on the external server I have the sub-domaine setup as a cname, on the DA box its by default created as an A record. And does the NS record in the zone on the DA box have to match that of the external servers? I guess, what I like to know, is this only a 'dummy' zone-file that is there to keep DA happy, or could its content couse some problems.

David

wombat said:
What do you mean "you must make sure that the information is correct" Jeff? If the domain is delegated only to the external DNS servers, does it really matter what information is on the DA box?
Yes. Since the local server may need the DNS info, and will probably get it from it's own DNS server (unless you've got other servers listed in /etc/hosts.
Fo example, on the external server I have the sub-domaine setup as a cname, on the DA box its by default created as an A record.
Doesn't matter because both resolve the same.
And does the NS record in the zone on the DA box have to match that of the external servers? I guess, what I like to know, is this only a 'dummy' zone-file that is there to keep DA happy, or could its content couse some problems.
It's to keep services on your server happy.

Jeff

Yes. Since the local server may need the DNS info, and will probably get it from it's own DNS server (unless you've got other servers listed in /etc/hosts.

The other small point to make is that other domains hosted on your server will refer to the local zone file as well. Creating a sub-domain (for example) in your external DNS is fine for the outside world but it will only work as far as other domains on your server are concerned if you duplicate the new entries in your server's zone file.

Back