40 Directadmin servers and 1 DNS

mainswitch

Verified User
Hello,

We have 40 - 50 directadmin servers and all with their own nameservers.

We want 1 DNS (ehhh 2 servers, 1 master and 1 slave)
and that the other 40 servers post the domains into the seperate dns server.

i've checked in the directadmin scripting, files and i think it's not so hard to fix this

But we can't find the script who's adding the zone to the nameserver.

It's easy to fix the HTML / template with an other url in it for posting on the other seperate DNS.

1:) can anybody tell me where the script is located who will add the zone to the nameserver?
2:) or is there allready a tool / script for it?

So in short

we want 1 seperate DNS and 40 Directadmin servers who will use only the seperate DNS server

Regards

Paul

I send you a PM about the solution Jeff and me are working on ;).

edit:
For the record:
Do not use my published version, it contains several severe bugs, a few of them were solved in later (some not released) versions, but the hack is not yet done.

I'm willing to write an howto in combination with my source, but it will work perfectly as long as a certain situation never happens...

*added e-mail notification for thread ;)*

Last edited:
Hello,

I would like to script something (ksh) to try to solve this kind of problem...
I will try to make it with architecture I have choosen (I don't know if it is the best) : 1 master DNS powered by a vds on a separate network, and 1 slave DNS on each hosting server(s).

Of course I will publish if I succeed, or not :p

But I need to know something just before to start:
Does the tabulation space in a zone file are necessary for bind to work ?

Regards,

kamino said:

Of course I will publish if I succeed, or not :p

But I need to know something just before to start:
Does the tabulation space in a zone file are necessary for bind to work ?

Regards,

Uhmm, in the servername.named.conf i include from the main conf, it isn't required. In the zone files I don't think it's required, but note that the zone files will automatically sync, so you don't have to write them. We just have to find a way to let the server/bind know which (included)conf it should use if there are more than one domains with exactly the same name.

Like:

DNS server is called serv1 (and thus is slave)
Webserver 1 is hosting abc.com and thus is master
Webserver 2 has a client that ads abc.com and thus also becomes master for that domain.

Serv1 now doesn't know how to proceed so BIND just commits suicide, causing problems for *all* domains in this 'contraption' ;).

edit: there's a thread here somewhere about Jeff and me working on a solution, you should check it out if you are also willing to help think/work/code on this problem.

Back