Confused

dancinkid6

Hi there, i am pretty new to hosting websites. just bought a server with directAdmin installed. my domain name was purchased a while ago on mydomain.com. now i am having some questions linking these 2 together.

1. I assume i can setup my own name servers, is that better than using registrar's name server?

2. there are a whole bunch of forwarding options, like MX, A, CNAME, all that? should i forward everything? if i use my own name server, then i dont need to do all these forwarding settings, correct?

3. this is what i am confusing the most. so i add a domain using directAdmin, and i am clicking around and seeing a lot of setting are already using my domain. this seems like my domain name is registered here. but the domain is still at mydomain.com. how do i synchronize these 2?

please help!!! thanks in advance

Since you're not sure about how to set up DNS the best thing for you to do would be to set up nameservers as advised in the DirectAdmin setup instructions, register those nameservers with your domain registrar, and let DA automatically figure out what kind of zone records you need.

Then you won't have to worry about A, CNAME, MX, AAAA, etc.

It appears as if you've already set up the domain on your server, so of course you'll find traces of it on your system. It appears as if all you need to do is get your nameservers registered with the domain registrar and things should then (within approximately 48 hours or less) begin to work.

Jeff

Back