Many Problems

jasonyates

Verified User
Hello,

I have just setup a directadmin server and the e-mail dosnt work for any domain or reseller.

Also is APF firewall compatable with directadmin, it seems to keep blocking our websites but not our ip's i have tried to disable it but the task monitor keeps starting it up.

I am also not sure if i have setup the server correctly.

I was wondering if i should just re-format and start again or try and fix all the problems.

Jason

If you had a successful install and if DNS is working properly (you don't list any of your sites or the IP# of your system, both of which would be necessary for me to check) then I'd certainly try turning off the firewall to see if that helps.

Most firewalls by default do NOT allow unexpected Internet traffic through.

We successfully use an ipchains firewall posted elewhere on these forums.

Jeff

I think i removed the firewall from the bootup and i have removed all its files but we are still having mail problems, for some domains it says it cant find the server whilst for others it says this operation is prohibited by the administrator.

Jason

If the firewall was installed as part of RHL 9, then the right way to install it is by uninstalling from RPM.

If you're sure it's disabled from the startup scripts then try turning it off at the iptables level by running:
Code:
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables stop
and then checking to see if you're still having problems with mail or anything else. If you are, then it's probably not the firewall.

If the above line doesn't return an error than it's probably still installed.

Jeff

I installed it manually via ssh but when i run that command it dont give any errors.

Jason

Thanks....

We are now just having problems with the email system. Basically i will describe problems:

In microsoft outlook: sending and receiving does not show any errors (except for out reseller account - which shows an error not finding the mail.corehost.co.uk).... However we do not receive any emails even if there are no errors shown and when sending an email from another server to this server's email's the emails are bounced.... Also: when sending an email from the emails on the server with the problem it does not send it and comes up with an error..

Would you by any chance be able to log into our server and check out the details?

Thanks
Duran Ross

jasonyates said:
I installed it manually via ssh but when i run that command it dont give any errors.
Did you install iptables manually? or the firewall?

From what I've been able to learn the firewall is simply a script for iptables, which I doubt you installed manually, since it's part of the kernel.

If you can shut down iptables without errors, then you should go ahead and see if you then have the functionality you didn't have when it was running.

Note that to turn it back on you run the same line, replacing "stop" with "start".

Jeff

Ok: thanks... we have sorted the firewall!

Now its just the email system, this was a problem even before we installed a firewall!

Would you be willing to loginto our server and then check out a few settings etc?

Thanks

CoreHost.co.uk said:
In microsoft outlook: sending and receiving does not show any errors (except for out reseller account - which shows an error not finding the mail.corehost.co.uk)....
Do you get a DNS error meaning you don't find the IP#? Or do you mean you get the IP# but you then can't find the server at your IP#?

I have no problems finding the server's ip# using nslookup.

I also have no problems pinging the server either by mail.corehost.co.uk, or by IP#. So it sounds as if you may have a problem local to your PC.

However we do not receive any emails even if there are no errors shown and when sending an email from another server to this server's email's the emails are bounced.... Also: when sending an email from the emails on the server with the problem it does not send it and comes up with an error..
What was the error?
Would you by any chance be able to log into our server and check out the details?
Presuming you're asking me, please contact me privately with this request. My email address is at the bottom of this and every post.

Thanks.

Jeff

Here is a copy of the error message i get from the mail delivory system -

"A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host neoforum.co.uk [65.77.219.24]: 550 relaying to <[email protected]> prohibited by administrator
[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host mail.corehost.co.uk [65.77.219.24]: 550 relaying to <[email protected]> prohibited by administrator"

That is when sending from from a working address to the faulty email server

Thanks

There are three logs you might want to tail while trying the email.

Do this from three seperate shell logins:

1) # tail -f /var/log/maillog
2) # tail -f /var/log/exim/exim_mainlog
3) # tail -f /var/log/exim/exim_rejectlog

That should give you an idea of what's going on.

Jeff

Hello,

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=neoforum.co.uk

This show no reverse lookup for your mail server.

Also, your hostname isn't resolving to anything:
Code:
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;server1.futurewebhosting.co.uk.        IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
futurewebhosting.co.uk. 10795   IN      SOA     ns1.astroskye.com. joe.tautology.org. 1058989381 28800 7200 3600000 86400
so you'll need to add an A record to dns zone for "server1".

Also, it isn't accepting mail for *@neoforum.co.uk, which might mean that the domain isn't in the /etc/virtual/domains file, or domainowners.

As mentioned by Jeff, have a look in your logs:
Code:
cat /var/log/exim/exim_mainlog | grep neoforum.co.uk
perhaps file ownership and/or permissinos have been changed.

John

I have added the A record for the server1.futurewebhosting.co.uk. I will tail the logs and post them later.

Thanks for all the help Guys.

I have tailed the logs as you said and they outputted this:

1) # tail -f /var/log/maillog

Sep 25 12:29:25 server1 vm-pop3d[3242]: Unable to use jason's mailbox; using /dev/null for testin
g
Sep 25 12:29:25 server1 vm-pop3d[3242]: User 'jason' of 'corehost.co.uk' logged in
Sep 25 12:29:26 server1 vm-pop3d[3242]: Session ended for user: jason
Sep 25 12:29:52 server1 vm-pop3d[4294]: Connect from 81.128.161.122

2) # tail -f /var/log/exim/exim_mainlog

2003-09-25 12:27:57 1A2ZuH-0001SG-00 == [email protected] T=remote_smtp
defer (-44): retry time not reached for any host
2003-09-25 12:29:26 refused relay (host) to <[email protected]> from <[email protected]
k> H=mk-smarthost-3.mail.uk.tiscali.com [212.74.114.39]

3) # tail -f /var/log/exim/exim_rejectlog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2003-09-25 12:29:26 refused relay (host) to <[email protected]> from <[email protected].
uk> H=mk-smarthost-3.mail.uk.tiscali.com [212.74.114.39]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please can you help me as this is starting to get rather annoying.

jason

It doesn't think jason is a valid user.

Is jason just a mailbox name, or is jason the site login name at either the reseller or domain level?

Can you show us the "ls -al" output for both jason's mailbox and for a working mailbox on the box?

Otherwise parhaps contact DirectAdmin support offlist and ask them if they're willing to log in and see if they can find the problem.

Jeff

Hi,

Jason is a valid mailbox i created it though direct admin, none of the domains or mail boxes work.

Jason

Back