Problem upgrading php from 4.3.8->4.3.10

GoranTornqvist

Verified User
Hello, I tried upgrading my server from php 4.3.8->4.3.10 but many php scripts on my server got "broken" when doing this. Some worked but others gave errors, example:
define(strtoupper($_constname), $_constval);
gave error: Constants may only evaluate to scalar values
This error came from our kayako e-support scripts (http://www.kayako.com/)
Other scripts just printed a whole bunch of Array() Array() Array() Array() Array() Array() on the pages. I haven't looked much on the code that goes wrong but I thought I should ask if any of you guys if you had this problem?

This is my configure string for php:

'./configure' '--enable-force-cgi-redirect' '--enable-cgi' '--with-curl' '--with-curl-dir=/usr/local/lib' '--with-gd' '--with-gettext' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-kerberos' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-mysql' '--with-pear' '--with-png-dir=/usr/local' '--with-xml' '--with-zlib' '--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-mssql=/usr/local/' '--with-iconv' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-openssl=/usr/' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--with-dom' '--with-imap=/usr/local' '--with-imap-ssl=/usr' '--with-imagick' '--with-t1lib=/usr/local/lib' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/include/freetype2' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-gd-imgstrttf' '--enable-id3' '--enable-shmop'

the first make gave me this error:
gcc: sapi/cli/php_cli.o: No such file or directory
gcc: sapi/cli/getopt.o: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

So I did a "make clean" and after that the make & make install went ok, don't know if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks for any help :)

are you using zend? You need to manually download the zend file and edit the build script. it fixed it for me. Theres a thread in the version upgrades forum.

Correct, only Zend 2.5.7 supports php 4.10
Here is a list of incompatibilites between 4 and 5 athough if your scripts are zend encoded, probably won't help much.
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/migration5.incompatible.php

Kayako should have a compatible version, it has been almost a week. (At least, if I were paying that kind of money for a ticket system I would definently expect som hupto, try updating zend fist though if thats the case)

ctnchris said:
are you using zend?

I'm not sure , how can I tell? :p
I haven't installed this server and haven't used any zend product before.
But John@support told me:
From zend website: Note: Zend Optimizer users will need to upgrade to the latest version in order for it to work with PHP 4.3.10.

So I'll have to update the zend package we include in the customapache build script. It will be about a day or so, but until then you can always just update it by hand by downlaoding/installing it as per their instructions.

Last edited:
Back