mysql 4.1.8

I am especially interested if there are any 4.0.x users who upgraded to 4.1.x

Did you encounter any problems during the upgrade?

upgrade !

Server has now been upgraded to the latest mysql 4.1.8

(upgraded from 4.0.22)

No problems and everything appears to be working very good.

PauGasol said:
Is Mysql 4.1.x full compatible with CMS , phpbbs etc etc?
If you want problem/trouble free from upgrading MySQL from 4.0.x to 4.1.x... you can try but after upgrading MySQL, please do the following or else you might get errors related to mysqlclient issues:

1. recompile/reinstall php with mysql support
2. restart mysql
3. restart apache

Basicly MySQL 4.1.x is a big improvement from 4.0.x. With that, comes the PHP's mysqli extension, which is what you need to access the new features, but still will accept PHP's old mysql extension. Recompiling PHP as choon suggested would be still be a smart thing to do.

sander815 said:
can you describe how?
Try to learn from reading some help message within the DA build script ;)
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/
./build
Look for building php option ... ... :p

where did you guys get the rpm for it? (i am running rhel 3) if you compiled it what settings did you use?

thanks!
josh

Didn't find any post here about how to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 so I tried it myself on my new freebsd 4 box, this is what I did:

/usr/local/mysql was a symlink to /usr/local/mysql-standard-4.0.17-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386

So I just downloaded mysql-standard-4.1.8-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386 and did tar zxvf, moved the dir to /usr/local, deleted the symlink and created it again to /usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.8-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386.
/usr/local/mysql/data was a symlink to /home/mysql on my server so I remade that link. After that I just restarted mysql and it was running the new version, no problemo. I also executed the bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables script as described here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Upgrading-from-4.0.html
Is there anything else I need to do?

Next I will try recompiling php5, is there anything special I need to think of when compiling it with mysql 4.1?

i've freebsd 5.2.1 and i'm running mysql 4.0.17.. on website of mysql i didn't found any new version for my freebsd.. who can i do?

DA isn't providing mysql 4.1...yet, I think.
I downloaded the binary release for freebsd from www.mysql.com.

I don't know if it's the same version for freebsd 4 as for freebsd 5...check the mysql site.

To update, do as I did above:

/usr/local/mysql was a symlink to /usr/local/mysql-standard-4.0.17-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386

So I just downloaded mysql-standard-4.1.8-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386 and did tar zxvf, moved the dir to /usr/local, deleted the symlink and created it again to /usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.8-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386.
/usr/local/mysql/data was a symlink to /home/mysql on my server so I remade that link. After that I just restarted mysql and it was running the new version, no problemo. I also executed the bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables script as described here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/U...g-from-4.0.html
Is there anything else I need to do?

hint: symlinks are created with "ln" command, like:
ln -s /usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.8-unknown-freebsd4.7-i386 /usr/local/mysql

I saw that.
Any plans to have the package added into the DA configuration I don't have to build from source, (and so I don't break things)?

Back