database backup feature won't work

thoroughfare

Verified User
Hi,

The database part of the site backup feature isn't working on the server I'm on at ProWebSpace. When you download the backup, it creates the username_database.sql files, but they're zero bytes big. I know that there's plenty of data in the databases too.

It's the same on 3 of their servers, and all several accounts (all the ones I've created have had this problem, and there are other PWS users experiencing this).

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Many thanks,
Matt :D

Hello,

This might be related to a past bug.
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=126

Try changing your da password, and then changing it back again. The original password provided when your account was created might be in the database for your username instead of the current password. The password that is passed to mysql when you do a backup is the current one you use when accessing the panel, so they might not match, thus giving you an empty backup.

Fix: reset your password (change and change back)

Let me know if that doesn't do it.

John

I have tried this after having the same issue and still can not backup using the facility.

Also, when accessing phpMyAdmin via DA, I am shown the Database name but not the structure as it states that there are not tables.

I know it is there as the website is functioning and it reads the information from the database.

Hello,

Something is up. I'm thinking the wrong db might be selected? I'm just guess and would have to have look. (Having no tables would explain an empty db dump). If you want me to look at it send all your user info (login and password) as well as the db you are using, the db username and db password, and of course your domain/ip to [email protected]

John

NB: I'm a web developer, and I've had this problem with several of my current projects which use databases.

HTH,
Matt

Thanks John

When I was getting the information together it hit me like a baseball bat ... Some goose ... me ... was using a database that was under my reseller name ir reseller_dbname NOt user_dbname.

Now for the life of me I am not sure how this occurred other than than the probability that I was in the reseller when I created.

I have run a backup and it does backup the database now so that is a good thing. I can also see the database via the admin section.

For the others having this issue, I guess it is a case of checking that the database is in the user account ie user_dbname. If not, better do some quick dancing :)

Success!

I did the following:

This might be related to a past bug.
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=126

Try changing your da password, and then changing it back again. The original password provided when your account was created might be in the database for your username instead of the current password. The password that is passed to mysql when you do a backup is the current one you use when accessing the panel, so they might not match, thus giving you an empty backup.

Fix: reset your password (change and change back)

And it worked! Thanks John :D

Matt :)

Hey,

I'm still getting this problem with new accounts I've just set up, and I don't wanna reset passwords as it's more hassle for my users.

Please DA, do you have a permanent solution?

Thanks,

Hello,

This shouldn't be happening anymore, the system user is setup on each and every database created, as they are created, using the password used to login to the panel. Note that if you are logging in as a Reseller, the password used to access that db for the User will be the Reseller's password, so you have to make sure to login as the user if you are doing any database work for them. Let us know if that doesn't solve it for you, else send us your account info and we'll have a look.

John

Note that if you are logging in as a Reseller

Do you mean when I log in to the reseller control panel, then find the user, then click 'log in as XXXX'?

So I need to log in directly as the user? How do I do that without their password? My reseller password doesn't work with individual users either.

Cheers,

To log in as one of your Users with your Reseller account, use
username: resellername|userusername
password: resellerpassword

where resellername is the username of the Reseller, userusername is the username of the user your're logging into and resellerpassword is the password of the user.

* But this won't work for backing up your User's databases.

The reason you have to login using just "username" with *their* password is that the username and password for their account is derived from the login information, and your reseller password doesn't match the database login password that is set for their databases.

John

Thanks John, I understand now, but...

If I can't log in to their account (for database purposes) using my reseller password, how do I know what their password is, since they change it themselves? I could just change it to something else but then I'd have to tell them about the new password, and it may annoy them. It's just too impractable.

Can you come up with a solution?

Many thanks,

Hello,

Yes, that would with the user transfer/backup feature for Resellers and Admins (hopefully, next few months). The current backup tool is designed for existing user accounts on the same server.

John

Thanks John :D

BTW I'm moving to a VDS very soon and I've chosen to use DA for my customers :) Your panel and support are excellent.

Last edited:
is it still so that a new created user has to change his password for the mysql backup to work?
I thought this was solved....

I just trie dit, and the mysql db is still empty, after changing the passwd to another and back, it worked

If an account is really old, he might still have to do it. New accounts shouldn't have the problem.

John

nop, its still not working right overhere

i created a new user somne days ago
created a backup, mysql is empty
changed pswd, changed it back, mysql backup is ok

after a few days i tried it again, exactlly the same problem

right now i am doing a backup, and the mysqp is empty again!

problem doesn't seem to be solved

Back