Best website CMS software.

modem

Verified User
I have a few clients that I am going to be doing work for in the coming weeks and one of their big common needs is having a centralized area where they can log in, manage, do simple tasks, etc. ALL without knowing a drop of HTML or programming. I had scanned over some CMS programs, but I'm looking for one where say a business owner could go in, update an inventory of their product to show on the website. Or possibly a CMS where it would allow them create a listing of products for sale etc.

I do know there are things out ther elike PHP-Nuke, but those are either too buggy, too vulnerable, and the resulting page looks too much like thousands of other similiar pages.

What is everyone's suggestion for having a CMS? Basically I'd like to teach the clients on how to manage their own text postings, minor things and let them do that on their own on a daily basis. Then if they need me for specific design coding I can handle that.

We've been using Mambo (mamboserver.com) for about a month and I love it.

Thanks for that link. I'm looking over the demo and it looks really great. Did you check out any other CMS software?

You can't go wrong with Mambo if you're not looking for an enterprise level CMS.
Excellent community, open source and commercial components. Well thought plugin system and very easy to use for customers.
Best of all, your site doesn't have to look like a blog or a community website (like all the nukes). You can do regular websites. Check http://www.mamble.com/ for examples.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I DEFINATELY am not looking for a "nuke-like" blogger. Thousands of sites have that look and feel already. This is for my hosting customers who aren't programmers, who want me to set them up sites and want to manage their sites without programming or hard effort.

Also I'm looking for CMS that has say... product inventory tracking or would have a plugin for that. Where one of my clients could input their products the CMS would manage a link to a picture, current amount in inventory etc. That way they could log in, update stuff via a nice friendly interface rather than coding.

MamboServer is ok. There's also LIMB & Drupal.
I have yet to see a decent "nuke-based" system(PHPNuke, PostNuke, Evolution). They all

But I'm not exactly sure if there's a cms with that feature you want, might wanna try a 'cart', like Cubecart.

Plone

What about Plone running on Zope/Apache? Haven't tried it yet, but I will over the next couple of weeks. Looks excellent!

www.plone.org

It is possible to set up the DNS for a domain so that email, MySQL, etc. runs on the DA box, and web is directed to another IP/box with Zope/Plone, right?

In effect I will use another box for HTTP, and DA for the rest of the services.

abacrux said:
I'd go for www.macromedia.com/contribute/ No DB needed and the program is awesome. Contribute 3 can everything a CMS can, too. And the price is "cheap" - for the capabilities.
Contribute is great, but can be expensive for smaller projects. €150 / license.
The lack of DB can be a problem when you need to change the whole site (no separation between content and structure) and to do searches in a website.

torp said:
It is possible to set up the DNS for a domain so that email, MySQL, etc. runs on the DA box, and web is directed to another IP/box with Zope/Plone, right?
Sure.

But you're responsible for figuring out the DNS, making MySQL work when accessed from another server, etc.

Jeff

Thanks for all the info!! It's giving me ideas for customers who are wanting items and features that a CMS would solve for them.

Well, the demo didn't show it to me.

There was a note next to the field that said I had to insert <p> to get a new paragraph. Not wysiwyg to me ;)

Back