UebiMiau problems related to php upgrade 4.3.10 on 5.3 machines

rhoekman

Verified User
(this thread has come from the update section of php but it got kind a messy. Since it is probably 5.3 related I would like to continue it here (original thread http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6138&perpage=20&pagenumber=2)

Okay to come back to the webmail problems we have with UebiMiau. I was wondering if anything changed or needs to be installed to use the fsockopen(): in php. Is this a default enabled instruction? If not do you need to enable it in php.ini to activate it? Or is it a compile option?

As far as I can tell on the server it is not able to open a socket locally to connect to the mailserver. So it is either a permission or a not supported php instruction that is not allowed.

Last edited:
I hope we get to the bottom of this as it can prove major with many clients using webmail.

I experienced exactly the same issues with webmail following the upgrade to PHP 4.3.10.

I simply changed the IMAP and SMTP server addresses to 127.0.0.1 rather than localhost in the webmail config and it worked a treat.

hth,
Matt

lol, I thought just the same!

I tried connecting using telnet to localhost on port 143 (IMAP) and it failed. It seems it is trying to first connect to an IPv6 address and timing out.

Matt

Instead of manually editing the php scripts to address the correct interface with the correct protocol (v4) you can put this line in /etc/rc.conf:

ipv6_enable="NO"

There is a lot of software that uses the localhost to send out mail or to address other local services. So this is a one line solution that should fix all. (Don't forget to restart the network interfaces)

I've just checked /etc/defaults/rc.conf and it's already there so there should be no need to add this to /etc/rc.conf , no?

this didnt fix it for me, can you guys show the exact line you changed please.

thanks

@interfasys: yes it should be the rc.conf file

@Chrysalis: Check if in the /etc/host file if the ipv6 equivalent for localhost is there like this:

::1 localhost localhost.my.domain

Removing that line will prevent localhost lookups at ipv6 level.

Let me know if that works

Rick

Back