What to do with this?

dec

Verified User
Hi..

I've been searching and to be honest i am not sure i have seen the answer to my confusion.

this is the deal:

1-) I have a domain name domain.com hosted in a Cpanel server and i have 2 DNS, NS1.domain.com and NS2.domain.com on the same server.

2-) Now i have a DA server and i want to create NS3.domain.com NS4.domain.com on it.

I notice that i need to have domain.com in DA in order for me to set the NS3.domain.com and NS4.domain.com in the control panel (DA)

How do i do this?

I have customers already using the server with CPanel and with their domains configure to use NS1.domain.com and NS2.domain.com.

My goal is to regiter domain names with NS3.domain.com and NS4.domain.com pointing to the DA server.

Thanks

Dec

Exactly where are you trying to set ns3 and ns4 and seeing an error?

What error are you getting?

Jeff

jlasman said:
Exactly where are you trying to set ns3 and ns4 and seeing an error?

What error are you getting?

Jeff

I am trying to set ns3 & ns4 on the DA server.

I dont get any error messages.. is just that i am not sure i can have both domains on different servers. i am afraid that the DA server may get confuse if somebody sends and email to [email protected] and it doesnt redirect the email to the CPanel server that has the working domain.com and instead directs th email to the same domain.com with the DA server.

This 2 servers are located in two different locations.

Thanks

Now you've gotten me confused.

Why do you have the domain on both servers?

Jeff

jlasman said:
Now you've gotten me confused.

Why do you have the domain on both servers?

Jeff

hehe.. sorry!

I have a domain www.xxx.com set and running on a CPanel server..

I have another server with DA.

Both server in different locations

i have dns servers like ns1.xxx.com & ns2.xxx.com set on cpanel server.

I want to have ns3.xxx.com & ns4.xxx.com and want to use them with the DA server.

How do i do that?

Thanks!

You can set the nameservers to anything you want; they don't have to have anything to do with the domain.

If you're having trouble doing that please explain the exact steps you're using and the exact errors you're getting.

Jeff

jlasman said:
You can set the nameservers to anything you want; they don't have to have anything to do with the domain.

If you're having trouble doing that please explain the exact steps you're using and the exact errors you're getting.

Jeff

here we go:

1-) I Clicked on Reseller panel

2-) I looked for extra features and clicked on Nameservers

3-) where it says:

With 2 Selected IP's: create ns3 & ns4 . and theres is a drop down menu with domains there.. I dont have xxx.com there.

there is where i get stock.. Dont forget i have xxx.com set and running in another server.

Thanks

Don't set up the domain on this system.

Don't use the top part of the DirectAdmin page at all.

Just set up the nameserver names at the bottom.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Don't set up the domain on this system.

Don't use the top part of the DirectAdmin page at all.

Just set up the nameserver names at the bottom.

Jeff

Jeff now you got me confuse..

Dont i need to relate each dns server with an IP address from my DA server?

I previously had 2 dns servers registered there with another domain, and i am using those dns servers for accounts already on my server. if i fill the where it says "Set the Nameservers that will be assigned to new users", wouldnt the old accounts be affected?

Sorry if they seem to be stupid questions and thanks for the help

Dec

dec said:
Jeff now you got me confuse..

Dont i need to relate each dns server with an IP address from my DA server?

I previously had 2 dns servers registered there with another domain, and i am using those dns servers for accounts already on my server. if i fill the where it says "Set the Nameservers that will be assigned to new users", wouldnt the old accounts be affected?

Sorry if they seem to be stupid questions and thanks for the help

Dec

I think you're getting a little bit off ;)

Where is domain xxx.com registred on ? The CPanel server :)

So create 2 DNS records on the CPanel Server and point them to the appropiate IP's.. In you're case probaly the both of you're DA server. (ns3 and ns4.xxx.com)

In you're panel you can just enter NS into the fields:

Admin:

Admin Level >> Administrator Settings >> Server Settings (will restart DirectAdmin) >> NS1 and NS2 set to ns3 and ns4.xxx.com

Reseller:

Reseller Level >> Name Servers >> Set the Nameservers that will be assigned to new users >> Name Server 1 and Name Server 2 set to ns3 and ns4.xxx.com

Just enter in these fields the nameserver ;) You probaly setup some slave DNS on the DA server.

Last edited:
Bottom line is we host DNS on foreign servers as well, and we tell DA to use them exactly as I mentioned in my last post.

Jeff

Back